Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why me?

Old 05-13-2005, 09:18 AM
st1

Default Why me?

In my last post I told ya'll about the bird I've been after for three years and always come up short. I got after him again this morining. He was gobbling hard at daybreak so I busted thru the swamp after him. Got thru the swamp and yelped a few times and answered right back, double and triple gobbling. I thought, this time you are mine. I was sneaking closer to him and ran two hens off the roost. I said to myself, great, less competition. I yelped a few more times and he's still about 100 yds away i'm guessing, going nuts. Then I hear a hen real close to me and I took a chance the tom was far enough away for me to run off the hen without spooking him. It worked, just me and ol tom now. I'm setup, yelping evry now and then, he's gobbling HARD no matter what I throw at him. He closes the distance by half, I still haven't seen him but he's coming. Easing closer to me now, thought I might have seen him move, but these woods are thick. I've got the dry mouth now, my heart's pounding, ears are ringing. What? Thats not my ears, ITS MY DAMN CELL PHONE. I dropped it in my vest yesterday because it was "in my way" when I got in my truck. Back thru the swamp, head hanging, tail between my legs. Maybe I'll get one more chance at him this year, but the season ends Sunday. My stupidity has no limits.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why me?

Maybe it was that Tom calling you to say..."busted".....

Seriously, hope you finally tag him before season's end....
Old 05-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man that is a bummer. That would make me really mad. Sounds like you would have had him if it werent for that. Good luck and hope you can get him before the season runs out.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:56 PM

Man i wish you would have had my cell phone. My ringer is a turkey gobbling. Im not kidding either, my mom thinks i am nuts.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:24 PM

Pard, I feel for you.
My cell phone goes to vibrate the second I leave my truck.
R
Hank
Old 05-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Spike

the bird I've been after for three years
This maybe a stupid question but how do you know this is the same bird?
Old 05-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

"....Can ya hear me now?..."

Sorry I just couldn't resist!!!

I feel your pain. I have seen times when a noise like a cell phone going off wouldn't bother a tom. They don't make calls so they don't know what it is. A lot depends on the circumstances surrounding the noise. Shoot, some of the noises I have made in the name of calling is probably worse than a cell phone going off. Keep your chin up and keep trying, at this point what do you have to loose?
Old 05-14-2005, 09:45 AM
st1

I'm almost positive its the same bird. This year he's always been roosted in the same area, and I've only heard one over there for the past two years. It could be that another bird has moved in, but I don't think so. I might have better luck if I came in from a different direction but I dont have a choice since I dont have permission from the guy that owns the land on the other side. He doesn't mind but his son and grandson pitched a fit when he said I could go a few years back and that was that. None of them hunt either. It really sucks.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ahankster

Pard, I feel for you.
My cell phone goes to vibrate the second I leave my truck.
R
Hank
i tried that once with the pager i am required to carry for the company. put it on vibrate and in my pocket. got to where i was going to set up and leaned back in an old cypress tree stump. been there for about 10 min. when i feel a vibration in my hip area. 1st thing comes to mind is snake came out of the stump heart skipped several beats before i realized what it was. had i had a tom in front of me and scared it off because of that pager, it would have gone in the slough!!
Old 05-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Antler my friend...LMAO!!!!!Cell phone stays in the truck,preferrably at home!!!Good luck over the rest of your season!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.