HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why me?
Thread: Why me?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005, 09:18 AM
st1

Default Why me?

In my last post I told ya'll about the bird I've been after for three years and always come up short. I got after him again this morining. He was gobbling hard at daybreak so I busted thru the swamp after him. Got thru the swamp and yelped a few times and answered right back, double and triple gobbling. I thought, this time you are mine. I was sneaking closer to him and ran two hens off the roost. I said to myself, great, less competition. I yelped a few more times and he's still about 100 yds away i'm guessing, going nuts. Then I hear a hen real close to me and I took a chance the tom was far enough away for me to run off the hen without spooking him. It worked, just me and ol tom now. I'm setup, yelping evry now and then, he's gobbling HARD no matter what I throw at him. He closes the distance by half, I still haven't seen him but he's coming. Easing closer to me now, thought I might have seen him move, but these woods are thick. I've got the dry mouth now, my heart's pounding, ears are ringing. What? Thats not my ears, ITS MY DAMN CELL PHONE. I dropped it in my vest yesterday because it was "in my way" when I got in my truck. Back thru the swamp, head hanging, tail between my legs. Maybe I'll get one more chance at him this year, but the season ends Sunday. My stupidity has no limits.