Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 What is plucking the String? >

What is plucking the String?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

What is plucking the String?

Old 03-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What is plucking the String?

I have heard people talk about this, i know it creates bad arrow flight, but how do you know if you are doing it?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is plucking the String?

Plucking: Undesired lateral motion of the string hand and arm away from the bowstring at time of release.
Instead of your release coming straight back, it is off to the side a bit. When I pluck, it is usually caused by a misalignment of the draw forarm. The forarm needs to be in direct alignment of the arrow. I think of three points making a straight line, the draw elbow, the nock, and the tip of the arrow. If my elbow is not directly behind the arrow, but off to the side, I end up plucking. The arrow usually goes to the left of the intended target.

On a side note, I have to use back tension to get that elbow back to where it needs to be. I can get to anchor without proper alignment, but I have to use back tension to finish off the alignment.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

From my limited experience plucking seems to occur most often if you are overbowed too.......??
I know when I first started shooting or I watch a buddy of mine who is still building those muscles the tendency is there to overpull at release and pull your hand away from your face causing the pluck.

Now that I can hold at anchor much smoother I have far less of these but when I start getting tired and I feel like I'm struggling to consistently hit anchor they will happen more frequently.

A pluck for megenerally winds up dead right of previous arrows by a considerable margin.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

A pluck for megenerally winds up dead right of previous arrows by a considerable margin.
My rights, although much more infrequent seem to happen when I anticipate/jerk the release. High/right usually.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

That helps alot! I am not cosistent enough yet to know if my arrows are going high right or dead right cuz they're everywhere!But i will concentrate on making a line with my elbow, nock, and arrow tip.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:29 AM

Just keep pulling straight back and you will be fine....
Old 03-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 1 over and two under,I was plucking the string because my ring finger was getting hung-up(cut it just about off when younger)so now I shoot 1 over 1 under and dont have a problem.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:21 PM

I don't usually post just lurk but here goes. I shoot only long bows. I have to lock the bow arm on target literally hold it perfectly still, then I will pull straight thru the shot. I guess it is the push pull effect. When I say lock my arm I mean rigid with out my elbow being bent inwards. As others have said back tension will take over if the draw is complete, If my form is sloppy weak bow arm then I will pluck, drop my arm, creep, and generally blow the shot. This tends to happen when I don't concentrate on that bow arm. Just my two cents worth on a very good topic.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lately i have been noticing that i have been missing to the left alot could this be a result of plucking? I am dead level with the spot i have picked but i'm just to the right. It feels like i am pulling the bow to the left at the shot. I just feels like when i release my bow hand wants to fly to the left. Any thoughts?
Old 03-30-2007, 12:39 PM

A great coach told me that if your string fingers are straight or extended just after you release the arrow, you are not getting a good release. He wants to see archers pull straight back as described above and the fingers still curved. It almost looks like the string goes through the fingers rather than around them.

Themost consistentway to do this is to simply quit holding the string. You don't release it or try to flick you fingers out of the way, that causes plucking.

This is a hard concept to describe in written words, but consider that no oneis fast enough tomove their fingers out of the way of a sting. The string has to push the fingers out of the way. The most consistent way to do this is to simply relax and let the bow do the work while your hand moves straight back with curled and relaxed fingers.

Quick Reply: What is plucking the String?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.