Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

cheap cam review

Old 05-03-2018, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default cheap cam review

OK, so I know many guys are always looking at trail cam's and the prices go from high to low.

I have been playing with trail cams now since the late 90's (35 mm film cams) I have had a LOT of different brands and from high end costly one's to cheap as I can find

I have had a LOT of cam's stolen over the yrs (25+ cams) so, I have always been trying to find cheaper cam's for higher risks places

most of the low cost cam's I have tried have been very hit and miss at best, and most have been either very slow wake up times, or ate battery's and a ton of pic's with NOTHING in them, and most have not lasted very long

I run cam's 24/7/365, and in low temps (minus 30+ wind chills) to close to a 100 or more in summer time

I was at Wally world last yr and seen they had some Tasco trail cam's for $25 bucks and change

no frill's NOTHING special about them lower megapixel only 4, but they do have a 6 and a 8 for a few dollars s more! think the 8 was 38 bucks and 6 $30

I have the first cam outside now for 6+ months, ahve taken well over 9,000+ pic's on same set of battery's

its been super reliable, very fast wake up time and so far LONG battery life even in the cold, rare if ever do I get a pic with nothing on it(animal wise)

NOW the pic's are not the most clear but NOT expected, flash range has been OK on deer and foxes out to about 40-50 feet, on bears it gets a little harder due to them being black, in day time, it tends to add a little yellow to the color on things, and IF you set it up to to take a pic every 2 seconds, it seems to struggle a little with the second pic in a row, just a little darker than the first pic

BUT for 25 bucks, I now have 4 of them and all have worked just fine

and I think anyone looking for a cheap cam that won't make you curse if it grows legs on you, there worth the 25 bucks!

here are a few pic's
Attached Thumbnails cheap cam review-022.jpg   cheap cam review-319.jpg   cheap cam review-1225.jpg  
Old 05-03-2018, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry for what ever reason all my day time pic's, will not upload , keep getting file fail error? and I ain't that smart of a tech guy to know why
same camera, same sized pic's, so sorry
but for 25 bucks I give these camera's a 2 thumbs up, long battery life, fast wake up, and decent pic's for the $$$
Old 05-03-2018, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

I really enjoy trail cams now, almost as much as hunting. When bear hunting I couldn't wait to get out there and get the SD crd.

This winter I left my camera out all winter. Got a few interesting pics. Also lots of fun pics of walking the dogs.

I have never had one stolen. But I have thought about getting some cheap ones just so I could have more for scouting purposes.

I keep telling myself I should leave them out more.

Nothing I have is super expensive. $6-85ish. Two last year were 60s. At the moment I like Moultires. Simple. Haven't had long enough to say. One of my old Wild Game seems to be eating batteries.

Wish you would see more off season sales, or maybe I am justing missing them. Sales but nothing great.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Both Walmart and Amazon are sold out of Tasco 6mp. Walmart was selling it for $25. Last years model? Cause $25 is darn good deal.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the review mrbb, I saw some of the 6 & 8 in a local Wallyworld at the prices you mentioned. My first thought was that they are probably a waste of money but now I will get one and try it out. Trail cameras are addictive, it seems that there is always a need for a few more. Thanks again.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:47 AM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jenks
Thanks for the review mrbb, I saw some of the 6 & 8 in a local Wallyworld at the prices you mentioned. My first thought was that they are probably a waste of money but now I will get one and try it out. Trail cameras are addictive, it seems that there is always a need for a few more. Thanks again.
X2, might have to give them a try!
Old 06-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ebay has some refurbished Browning BTC-2XR's going for $44 with free shipping. Not a bad deal, they have a Browning one year warranty. These are 10MP cameras from back in 2013 and 2014 according to the Browning webpage. I bought one and a BTC-1XR(6MP) for $75 for the two.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

I like the moultries becuase they have the external power port. I drive all my all year off 12v 7ah batteries and never have to recharge during the hunting season. I just wish some of these cheaper ones came with the same input for power. I would like to buy the same in lower MP quality as who needs a 12 - 20 MP camera to know when the deer are walking down the trail. Bigger, better and larger pics just waste more processor time reviewing them.

A lot of these are China clones of old moultrie and other models in different cases. I just wish they would put better LED's in them and a slight better processor and raise the price $10
Old 06-16-2018, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Archeryrob, the Browning BTC-1XR and BTC-2XR both have 12 volt external power ports. These can be bought refurbished on ebay for under $50 each with free shipping.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:04 AM
car
Typical Buck

I found at Walmart a Tasco 6mp and a 8mp for $25 and $28 so I bought both. I've tested them for a week and just like some of you have posted, for the money they don't seem to bad.