Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Bushnell Issue / Question >

Bushnell Issue / Question

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Bushnell Issue / Question

Old 01-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Spike

Default Bushnell Issue / Question

I am new to this site - though after looking around, I probably should have gotten on here sooner ...

I bought the hubby a Bushnell for Christmas this year, so we could see the night time critters around here. He has it set up on a fence post by a trail that is used often. Since the camera is fairly close to the house, he can check the pics every day. We almost always see tracks of something, but no pics of what left the tracks.

It says to set the sensitivity to low when it is snowy and cold, but that just made the issue worse. He changed it to high sensitivity, and pics are now snapped very quickly, but just last night, there is (1) pic of nothing but the night and virgin snow (2) within one second, another pic of nothing but the night and virgin snow (3) about 5 hours later, a pic of a stray cat way to the left of the frame, but tracks are now visible coming in on the right (but no critter in the process of making them) and (4) within one second, another pic of the cat, but now he has moved ever so slightly ...

Any idea why the camera is not catching what has left the tracks?
Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here are a few suggestions if you haven't already tried: 1)try to face the camera so any animals will come toward it. Most trail cameras go into a sleep mode to save battery power. This will give the camera more time to wake up and catch a picture or video of the animal. 2)if using a lower quality or low voltage battery, the camera will not function properly. The older model cameras would fail or malfunction around 1.0 to 1.2 volt. The newer models start to malfunction around 1.3 volt. 3)better quality batteries are the Duracell Copper Top which show 1.60 volt fresh out of the package. Ultimate Lithium show 1.79 to 1.83 volt fresh out of the package. Lithium come in up to 9X which equals 9 times the lasting strength of a normal battery. Lithium is recommended for cold weather. Testing batteries with a digital meter if far more accurate than using a meter with a sweep hand. These meters can be purchased at an automotive store or electronics shop and can be used for much more than just testing batteries. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

The new Bushnell's are just bad cameras. The settings are extremely finicky, the night pictures and videos are aweful. I've had two cameras that started melting batteries this year, when the cameras weren't even turned on yet. I'm getting alot of "File Error" messages, even with new sd cards. They are just full of problems. In saying that, Bushnell has gone above and beyond to make everything right and that's why I continue to use Bushnell"s products. They always stand behind their products and they have a 2 year warranty.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Energizer lithium batteries is the best...also like said before point it towards the trail/tracks not at 90degrees from the tracks. Settings might have something to do with it...but try it out at home first see if its the camera or just how its pointing.