Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Big 8, on the downfall? >

Big 8, on the downfall?

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Big 8, on the downfall?

Old 10-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default Big 8, on the downfall?

My dad got this picture about a week and a half ago. This is the only shot of this buck we've gotten this year. I'd love to see how wide he is, but it looks like he's got some solid mass and could be considerably wide. I know it's tough to tell with only one picture, but it looks like he's starting to get that pot belly and drooping back that are tell-tale signs of an older deer. The gray on the muzzle and the solid neck make me think this deer is at the very least 4.5, but probably closer to 5.5 or even older. This is in a big woods and swamp area where deer have every chance to grow old and never be seen, a decade or so ago one of the hunters in our group shot a deer that was aged at 8.5-9.5 years old by the DNR at the check station. However old he is, it's exciting to see him, and during the day nonetheless!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

He could,depending on winter,diet,injury,predation and such,be out there a couple more seasons.
Dosn,t seem to be on a bad decline yet. Can,t see bases well but see little of burring. Can almost see his teeth!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

i think he is atleast 4+ years..looks good
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like to me he has a good 4 years or so before he starts going down hill.
It doesn't look like he has hit his prime yet.

JMHO