Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Battery Adapters

Old 10-24-2012, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Battery Adapters

Has anyone tried using the adapter sleeves in their Trail Cams? I have 4 cameras and have to buy 3 different sizes of batteries. Was thinking about getting the adapter sleeves so I would only have to buy AA batteries for all of them.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

These should work okay. Going to AA, you would be able to use the Lithium Ultimate AA batteries in colder weather. These test out at 1.79 to 1.83 volt. They are high voltage. This is why they last longer in cold weather. On the down side, dropping from a "D" or a "C" battery to the "AA", your are greatly reducing battery storage capacity, (reducing the length of time a battery would last). As an example, suppose your vehicle has a high cranking amp battery (1000 amp). You remove this and install a lower cranking amp (750). The 750 would not crank the vehicle engine over as long as the 1000 in cold weather. For a temperary trial, cut light weight card board from a cereal box etc., building a tube for each set of batteries that are installed end to end. You would have to build enough for each row of batteries in the camera. Add a metal spacer or spring to make up the additional battery length for the shorter AA batteries. Now, put packing around these tubes, once they are installed in the battery compartment, making sure the tube assemblies line up with the battery contacts. Moultrie D55-IR and SpyPoint IRB would require 3 tubes each, just mentioning cameras I have as examples.
If I remember correctly, this was mentioned on one of the trail camera forums a year or two ago. Checking at that time, someone had them listed on EBay.
I did a search on EBay for "battery adapters". There are lots listed for various conversions. Very reasonably priced. Good luck.

Last edited by littlearrow; 10-24-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's what I was thinking, switching the D & C cameras over to the Lithium AA batteries. Just wasn't sure how much batterylife I would lose or possibly even gain in colder weather.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

as long as you add the voltage up and dont go over or under you should be ok....usually too much power will make the clock run faster, and too little will slow it down. different effects for different equipment as far as damage...it could run forever running too hot, or it could die. might not have enough power if ya have less voltage to operate the cam.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wallhangr
That's what I was thinking, switching the D & C cameras over to the Lithium AA batteries. Just wasn't sure how much batterylife I would lose or possibly even gain in colder weather.
If you are going to switch over, just switch to all D batteries.
If it adds up to 6 volt, get a 6 volt battery, or a couple rechargeable 6 volt batteries.
And change them out when one gets low, with a charged one.
JMHO

Last edited by jrbsr; 10-24-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jrbsr
If you are going to switch over, just switch to all D batteries.
If it adds up to 6 volt, get a 6 volt battery, or a couple rechargeable 6 volt batteries.
And change them out when one gets low, with a charged one.
JMHO

Can't really switch a camera running on C batteries over to D's....the adapter sleeves are for converting AA's into C's or D's.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default a lot of experience with adaptors

You can not go wrong making the switch to AA batteries, specifically lithium batteries. In cold weather you will get 10x more time out of the batteries. My cameras seemed to function a lot better all around. I used the adapters from Reconyx in my older Reconyx cameras that required C batteries. Even using alkaline AA's the battery life was better using AAs vs Cs.

If indeed you are switching or are thinking of trying it first, look into the Reconyx adapters. They are really slick and can not be broken.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dbllunged
You can not go wrong making the switch to AA batteries, specifically lithium batteries. In cold weather you will get 10x more time out of the batteries. My cameras seemed to function a lot better all around. I used the adapters from Reconyx in my older Reconyx cameras that required C batteries. Even using alkaline AA's the battery life was better using AAs vs Cs.

If indeed you are switching or are thinking of trying it first, look into the Reconyx adapters. They are really slick and can not be broken.

Thanks, exactly the kind of info I was hoping for!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

I thought you meant external battery switch over.