Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trail camera security box review

Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trail camera security box review

Check this link: http://www.trailcampro.com/reconyxhc600review.aspx
This gives the review for the Reconyx HC600 trail camera. Scroll down and view the security box. They show how the cover installs. These boxes are available from some dealers and also on EBay. To install the camera: 1) remove the box cover as shown, 2)after setting up the camera and turning it on, install it into the box. The camera fits snug with no movement. 3)install the box cover as shown. With this style of security box, one cannot move the camera once the box cover is installed. This is the type one wants for the Moultrie M80 and M100 series.
The other style available for Moultrie has a slide down cover where the back of the cover is designed to slide down into a groove on each side. With this security box style, one can grasp the camera from the front and move it. If a bear or other animal bumps the camera it is now aimed at a different angle than what you had planned. In freezing rain, this box cover could be frozen and not removed. Clearance has to be maintained above this box for cover removal as it has to go straight up to remove it.
I have four Moultrie M100 and have two boxes of each style. My last two cameras came with the second style security box as a package. I prefer the first style security box.
As for strength, both box styes are well constructed. Both styles can be lag bolted to a tree or post, padlocked and also fastened with a python cable.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by littlearrow
Check this link: http://www.trailcampro.com/reconyxhc600review.aspx
This gives the review for the Reconyx HC600 trail camera. Scroll down and view the security box. They show how the cover installs. These boxes are available from some dealers and also on EBay. To install the camera: 1) remove the box cover as shown, 2)after setting up the camera and turning it on, install it into the box. The camera fits snug with no movement. 3)install the box cover as shown. With this style of security box, one cannot move the camera once the box cover is installed. This is the type one wants for the Moultrie M80 and M100 series.
The other style available for Moultrie has a slide down cover where the back of the cover is designed to slide down into a groove on each side. With this security box style, one can grasp the camera from the front and move it. If a bear or other animal bumps the camera it is now aimed at a different angle than what you had planned. In freezing rain, this box cover could be frozen and not removed. Clearance has to be maintained above this box for cover removal as it has to go straight up to remove it.
I have four Moultrie M100 and have two boxes of each style. My last two cameras came with the second style security box as a package. I prefer the first style security box.
As for strength, both box styes are well constructed. Both styles can be lag bolted to a tree or post, padlocked and also fastened with a python cable.
I've seen this box in person before and I still prefer the Custom1Enterprise boxes over these. They are made of heavier metal and powder coated.
Best of all, they are made in the USA.
Those other boxes that you can get anywhere are made in China.
I have 4 boxes from Custom1 and love them all.
My scoutguard box is almost 6yrs old and doesn't have a scratch on it.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

pnut:Thanks for the information.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by littlearrow
pnut:Thanks for the information.
No problem.
They aren't a big operation but they make a quality product and have top notch customer service.

http://custom1enterprises.com/

They sell on ebay as the same name but the prices are the same.

btw, I don't have any affiliation with them. Just like their products.