Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Is this a bobcat or cougar? >

Is this a bobcat or cougar?

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Is this a bobcat or cougar?

Old 09-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

that would be a couger.. thats cool to get on camera..
Old 09-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Spike

I say cougar
Old 09-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bandgod
That's a hard picture to tell for sure...at first I thought cougar, but it does have markings for a bobcat in the black in the face. It's hard to tell if that tail is much of a tail. If it's a cougar, it's a small one and young which would make me wonder if there is a local breeding cougar.
I just wish the camera would have been aimed a little lower because it sure would have taken a lot of the guess work out of it.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Spike

You can see the tail outline on the rear hip, and the round ears, no blended markings like bobcats have and typical bobcat will not stand that tall.

Have ran hounds on cats for long time, its a young cougar. Neighbor has pics of two cougars in the same county in 2010.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to go with it being a Young Cougar also,rounded ears and a good size body....a Bobcat would have more pointed ears in my opinion,Be careful out there!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Another vote for cougar here. I've had a few pics of bobcats in the last few years and they were much shorter length-wise than your picture.

I'm in Buffalo county and had a bear on camera in late August - the predators are sure moving south quickly.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Boogeyman24
Another vote for cougar here. I've had a few pics of bobcats in the last few years and they were much shorter length-wise than your picture.

I'm in Buffalo county and had a bear on camera in late August - the predators are sure moving south quickly.
There are tons of bears in the chippewa county forest. Way too many.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bandgod
it's a small one and young which would make me wonder if there is a local breeding cougar.
That was my thoughts too! The muzzle is rather short(like a bob) but the body is quite long.
You've got some competition there my friend, and the main diet of Cougars is...............White-Tailed Deer!!!! Watch for deer carcasses in the trees! Most of the deer that fall to the cougar won't even know they're on the dinner table until the fangs are in the back of its skull.
If you find a carcass with the backside eaten first it's usually done by Canines, front end first is those purrrrrdy kitties!
Cool photo!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PREDATE
That was my thoughts too! The muzzle is rather short(like a bob) but the body is quite long.
You've got some competition there my friend, and the main diet of Cougars is...............White-Tailed Deer!!!! Watch for deer carcasses in the trees! Most of the deer that fall to the cougar won't even know they're on the dinner table until the fangs are in the back of its skull.
If you find a carcass with the backside eaten first it's usually done by Canines, front end first is those purrrrrdy kitties!
Cool photo!
Oh wonderful! NOT..
Old 09-05-2012, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cougar - Mt Lion.
MO Conservation played dumb for many yrs here until more and more game cam pics started coming in and more shootings occurred.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.