Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Ants in camera?

Old 07-21-2012, 02:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ants in camera?

Is there anyway of keeping ants from getting in my cameras? I put a camera on a tree the other day and a week and half later I come back to check it and open it up to grab the card and little small ants were crawling all inside of it. Will this hurt the cam and what can I do about it?
Old 07-21-2012, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had this happen several times. It doesn't seem to hurt the camera but I would get them out asap. I brought mine home and placed it in a plastic bag with a rag soaked with insect killer. It definately killed them off. I then opened the camera and cleaned all the dead ants out of it. I'm not sure what to do about keeping them out in the first place without causing too much scent on the camera.

Blessings.......Pastorjim
Old 07-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on the brand of camera, some have a rubber plug in the bottom (2009 model Bushnell Trophy trail camera). I find this a soft, poor fitting plug. I put a strip of masking tape over the hole on the inside of the camera. Another forum mentioned raid (in the black can). I don't know if this is a spray, powder or paste. Raid cans come with different chemicals listing on the can what each type is designed for. Each type has a different color on the can.
Check any rubber "O" ring around the door etc. to make sure it is still in the proper groove or parts are not missing. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

A couple good suggestions in this one...I like the idea of dusting with Sevin.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trai...ts-camera.html