Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Anyone using a Bushnell Trophy? >

Anyone using a Bushnell Trophy?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Anyone using a Bushnell Trophy?

Old 10-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Anyone using a Bushnell Trophy?

With the built-in viewing screen? Curious as to what kind of battery life to really expect?
Old 10-24-2010, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine doesn't have the built in viewer but it is on the 4th month with the same set of batteries and when I checked it the other day, it was still reading full. With lithiums they advertise up to a year in battery life. Depending on the amt. of pics you are getting I would say it's reasonable to expect 6+ months on a set of alkalines.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 10-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah that year from a set of batteries was one of the selling points I liked (even though even half of that would be nice enought for me). But 4 months of one set so far is very promising.

I am currently using mine for videos only so I'll have to check the batteries after awhile. I will also have to learn how to check the batteries.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get yourself a digital meter for testing the batteries. These meters come with an instruction booklet. The bars shown in some cameras are a guide line but basically tell you nothing. Once a battery gets down to 1 to 1.2 volt, its time to replace or recharge if using rechargeable batteries. One good rechargeable battery is 1.5 volt out of the package (Pure Energy) found at most WalMarts. The cheaper rechargeable batteries are 1.2 to 1.5 volt. Any good battery set will all gradually drop in voltage as a set. If one drops more than the others, this has a fault. Low voltage will cause the camera to receive poor or false signals resulting in 1) shorter than normal night videos, 2) color distortion etc. Cold weather will also effect the out put of any battery.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a couple digital multimeters and think I will definately use one because like you say one battery could be the weak link in the chain. I use my meter alot on batteries and a weak link happens more often than most people would think.

The camera recommends using Energizer Lithium batteries and I am using the Ultimate Lithiums over the Advanced Lithium due to the better extreme weather performance they cite.

I really would like to see how the Energizer rechargeables perform because I have moved to those exclusively for all the AA needs around here - which is huge. It cost me a good buck to initially get a quantity of them but no more buying AA's! I used my drill drill press and drilled holes slightly larger than the AAs at an angle into a 2 X 4 to keep them all organized. Painted red and black. Red = dead. Black = charged.

Also wondering how long a 6V lantern battery would last.