Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

First post

Old 06-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Spike

Default First post

I have been checking out photos for a while and purchased my first trail cam. I don't hunt but enjoy hiking and watching wildlife. I live in California, close to Monterey. Behind our subdivision we have a park and private land that sometimes has cattle on it. All the deer in the area are blacktail. There have been sightings of mountain lions nearby and I'm hoping one day to get some shots/film of them. I recently left the camera out for four days and here's what I found. I'll try to get the links to work correctly...

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z...tingtree-1.mp4

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z...sandbabies.mp4
Old 06-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Spike

I learned a lot about trail cam placement after the few days it was out. The camera set to picture (I have two cam's) I had it in a spot with too much tree movement and the wind kept triggering the camera so I ended up with a lot of photographs of nothing.

Here's the same buck:

Old 06-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome and great have you aboard. It doesn't matter whether you are a hunter or not. I would say that most of us here almost consider our trailcams to be it's own sport. I hope you capture a cougar on your cams.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 06-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Newbie

Welcome,
They used to say "well you can't see anything if your not in the woods." Well things have come a long way baby.

Maybe you will get a shot of a blacktail fawn...
Old 06-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sixgunluvr
Welcome,
They used to say "well you can't see anything if your not in the woods." Well things have come a long way baby.

Maybe you will get a shot of a blacktail fawn...
yeah, blacktail fawn,fantastic
Old 06-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Spike

Thank you for the welcome.
My 6 year old daughter was hiking with me and when we were placing the trailcam I told her that the trail was a deer highway. You could easily see it was because it went under the barbed wire fence and that is where the camera was mounted. She thought it was funny that I called it the "deer highway".
She enjoyed looking at the video's but did not like a close-up of a bug-eyed deer peering into the camera.
Here's one of the fawn videos I got. These do not look very young. How old would you guess these are?:

Old 06-13-2010, 01:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the forums and nice videos....
Old 06-13-2010, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=Mike in CA;3635684]Thank you for the welcome.
My 6 year old daughter was hiking with me and when we were placing the trailcam I told her that the trail was a deer highway. You could easily see it was because it went under the barbed wire fence and that is where the camera was mounted. She thought it was funny that I called it the "deer highway".
She enjoyed looking at the video's but did not like a close-up of a bug-eyed deer peering into the camera.
Here's one of the fawn videos I got. These do not look very young. How old would you guess these are?:

Most whitetail fawns are born in late may and June. I'm not sure about the blacktail though but I would say those fawns look to be about three to four weeks old. Just a guess.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 06-13-2010, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Deer pictures Mike,and with a great view of the hillside...welcome to Hunting Net!