Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trailcam reviews

Old 02-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trailcam reviews

Lately, I have noticed several threads from people wanting to know what is the best trailcam. Since I have so many different brands of trailcams, I have decided to list my likes/dislikes about each of the brands I own.

1. Cuddeback Capture Flash, price $199.00
I like the super fast trigger speed, the very crisp and clear pictures, and the easy programming.
I dislike the 30 sec. delay between triggers, no multiple shot option, and the narrow detection zone.

2. Moultrie I-40s, price generally in the $179-$199.00 range.
I like the absolutely beautiful daytime pics, the very best of all my cameras. Night-time IR pics are the best I've seen from any IR camera. Wide detection zone, programming is pretty simple with many options, multiple shot option, long battery life, about 5 months, and takes video or still shots.
I dislike the slow trigger speed and the delays between triggers although you can set it for multiple shots. Moultries customer service.

3. Stealthcam I-590, price about $100.00
I like the quality of the color day and night pictures. When I see them It's hard to believe they come from a $100 dollar camera. Easy programming, not as easy as the Cudde but easy nontheless. The price and multiple trigger option. Also a very wide detection zone.
I dislike the exremely slow trigger speed, about 4 seconds, and the thing eats batteries, last about 3-4 weeks if you're lucky in the warm weather.

4. Leafriver IR7SS, price $359.00
I really like the daytime video with sound, pretty quick trigger time, and the way you can lock it to a tree without buying an extra security box.
I dislike the night-time IR videos, very grainy. Maybe this will improve when the weather gets warmer. Takes two different types of batteries, Ds and Cs and seems to go through them pretty fast, about three weeks. Again, maybe this will improve in warmer weather. Very very difficult programming, I had to call the company to help me with it.

Reconyx RC55, price $550.00
I like the trigger speed, no delay between shots, and the daytime pics are second only to the Moultrie. Huge detection zone, the largest of any camera on the market. I know that it never misses anything and I can't say that about any of the rest of my cameras. Reconyxs' customer service is second to none and the camera itself just seems to be built alot more sturdy than any of the others. Battery life is good, about 3-4 months and I am not using the batteries they recommend. They recommend lithiums or rechargables but I have been using alkalines. They don't recommend this.
I dislike the IR pics after the batteries get a little weak, but again, I am not using what they recommend. The price because it keeps me from owning more of them.

Well there you have it. These thoughts are just my opinion but as an owner of so many different brands, it might be helpful to someone.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Spike

Thank you for your feedback. I'm shocked with all the cameras you have. You havent tried a Bushnell or a scoutgaurd.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jim.....nice of you to take the time to do this writeup.

Now, how is the progress coming on your Homebrew?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Great job Jim! It would be nice to have so many different camera makes. Just a sidenote, Cabelas has the Leaf River IR 7SS on sale now for $279
Old 02-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info. My moultries take good pics also. I think I want to buy one 35mm to have for real cold weather..they always worked for me in sub zero weather. Also, I think my next cam is going to be that new Bushnell, it looks awesome and has a good price point. I think that recon is to expensive for this ol' boy.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks big guy!
Old 02-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jim, did you ever get rid of the cameras you wanted to get rid of?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Siman08/OH
Jim, did you ever get rid of the cameras you wanted to get rid of?

No Caleb I didn't. I had alot of offers but I just wasn't willing to let them go for some of the money offered. Hey, I'd make you a deal though!

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 02-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
No Caleb I didn't. I had alot of offers but I just wasn't willing to let them go for some of the money offered. Hey, I'd make you a deal though!

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Still broke

Come August ill be in the market for another though