Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Help me choose a camera. >

Help me choose a camera.

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Help me choose a camera.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help me choose a camera.

I am going to be buying a trail camera here soon. Let me first state that I cannot justify paying close to $600 on a single camera. So don't even suggest Reconyx or Buckeyecam. (Though I would love to have one)

I have done alot of research, and my first decision was to buy a Cuddeback Capture 3.0. I read alot of good reviews on it. And I really like the sounds of the camera because it has very fast trigger speed for a relative price. Any thoughts on this?

I also did some research on the Moultrie I-40. I read alot of good reviews on it, especially for its exceptional battery life. But on almost every review, it said something about its triger speed being very slow. This makes since to me because Moultri makes this camera and they expect it to be put over feeders, where the deer will be standing still. Trigger speed seems important to me because I plan on setting the camera up on trails. Does anyone have any input on this camera?

If you have neither of these cameras, please give me your own opinions about the one(s) you do have.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own two Moultrie I40s and I am mostly pleased with them. Their daytime pics are second to none, including my Reconyx, and for an IR camera the night-time photos are good. The battery life is phenomonol. I just brought one in last week, it's been out since April, and the batteries are still at 45%. There are some things I would change about them if I could though. First, as you mentioned, I wish it had better trigger speed. I always put an attractant down so I don't think I'm missing much but that is always something I have to keep in mind when I'm setting it up. Secondly, and this is an issue with all IR cameras, they like their light. In other words, as the foilage begins to come on more and more in the summer, the camera has a hard time distinguishing between light and dark. Sometimes it will take an IR pic when it should be taking a color pic. This especially true in the early AM daylight. I have had the cameras long enough to know to put them in places where they can "see" the most light. Other than those two issues I am completely satisfied with them. Would I buy them again, probably not, but that's only because the cameras have really advanced in the two years since I bought these. At the time they came out, there was nothing better in that price-range. I will post some pics from the I-40 so you have an example of them, plus I just like posting pictures.

Note the temp. in the pic. yet the camera still performed flawlessly.

Night-time IR pic.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 12-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have 3 scoutguard 550s and i love them....the size,video and picture quality and battery life are excellent for the price...
Old 12-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Spike

i have 2 I-40's.knock on wood,but they've been great.As far as trigger speed,put them in the right spot.Other posts talk about it.I wouldn't hesitate 2 buy another.had other more expensive stolen.guess if they want it,they'll get it.Low life bastards!
Old 12-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

I have 2 Cuddeback Capture's W/ Flash. Very easy to use and they take good pics. No problems so far. I think I might get another one this spring. If you get a Capture, get the flash. I've seen some guys are concerned about the flash scaring deer but I have been putting them over scrapes and have been getting 5-6 pics of bucks working the scape at one time and it doesn't seem to bother them.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Spike

how many 4and 5 year olds come back?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

I've been doing a lot of research lately in hopes of getting a decent camera myself. I've narrowed it down to three or four cameras. Right now I would probably go with the Bushnell Trophy cam because I think they are very comparable except for the battery life. The Bushnell's are supposed to last up to a year on 8 AA lithium batteries. No one else can make that claim. Coming in close would be the Cuddeback, the Spypoint IR-A, and the Scoutgaurd SG550. The Spypoint cameras can be easily hooked up to an external 12-volt battery for extra battery life. Check out the reviews on these camera's and more at the following website:

http://www.chasingame.com/index.php?id=1

I'm still in limbo. I like the sound of getting a Cudde just because of the name.