Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Best for around $100 >

Best for around $100

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Best for around $100

Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best for around $100

It's been a while since I've been here, deer season and all, so I don't know what's been discussed.
Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a new cam but only have about $100 I can put towards one.
I have one now, a Bushnell, and the battery life is absolutely awful. It takes decent pics with good speed, but the batteries only last about a week.

Give me some ideas on a good cam in the $100 range with decent pics and speed but good battery life.
I read on the thread somewhere (not here) about some getting several months out of batteries. That's something I'm really interested in.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Spike

I think the new reversions of Stealth Cam's are pretty good, I own one myself, I think it's about $90.00
Old 12-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pastor,

For $100.00 I think either the Moultrie D-40 or the Stealthcam I-590 are pretty decent. I don't own a D-40 but many on this board do. I do own a Stealthcam I-590 and from what I've seen of the pictures, I think the Stealthcam has better quality pics. When I bought my Stealthcam they said the batteries would last about three weeks but I have been getting more than a month out of a set of batteries. If you really want to step up in quality, save another hundred and for $200.00 there are alot better cameras out there. Whatever you decide, enjoy it. This is a very addictive hobby.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 12-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi PastorJim08
Just a thought. Purchase a camera where you can use an external 12 volt power supply. This is what I went to. I am using a 300 series from WalMart, the same size used in a ride on lawnmower. The resultis no more battery problems, due to a larger storage capacity. I was using "C" batteries as the camera required. In cooler weather the voltage dropped enough that the camera failed to trigger. Rechargeable batteries do not come up to 1.5 volt as do the standard type. The voltage should be found on the battery label, usually around 1.25 volt with a charger possibly pushing them to 1.37 to 1.39 volt. The only down fault is the size of the 12 volt battery if you plan to move it often.
I'm from southern Manitoba, Canada where we have recent temperatures of -20 to -26 degrees F. this past week. My cameras are still working at these temperatures providing there is animal movement. This is because of the large storage capacity of the battery. I usually check the voltage once or twice a week with a digital meter.
Many of the cameras mentioned on the forum would work much better if they could be hooked up to this system. Some of the cameras that do not have the outlet for the external power supply, I feel they could some how be modified to work. If you know someone working in the electronic field, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by littlearrow; 12-09-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: To correct sentence structure.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default external battery

Ok littlearrow, what camera are you using, and does it come with an external hookup for a 12v battery or did you have to do a modification?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the bushnell is less than a year old then call for a replacement.
One week is not right and they should fix it.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

PastorHunter
I am using the Wildview EZ-Cam. This is one of the earlier versions. I have a total of 10 of these. Yes they do have a plug at the bottom for an external 12 volt hookup. I purchased a bunch of game adapters with the barrel type plug. Some of the wires will have either a grey or white tracer. This wire will go to the positive (+) of your battery. I usually put white electrical tape on it and mark it (+). If you use a meter, the center of the barrel plug and this wire will show continuity. A word of caution: do no hook the wires up in reverse or you ruin that section of your camera. The only complaint on these cameras is the slower trigger speed, but if set up facing along a trail or as some members set up over a feeder or bait, they will work better. Do not face the cameras east or west as this will cause an over exposure or white out. Better to face in a northerly direction. At the present time I have eight of the wildviews set up in various locations. I also recently purchased two SPYPOINT IR-B 7.0 but haven't used them enough to give a valid report. These also have an external port for 12 volt. Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

I have 2 of the Moultrie D-40's and one of the older of the same models. The older model took a 6 volt lantern battery and it would not operate if below freezing. The d-40's take 6 D-cell batteries and so far hve not failed. I have not checked them since the cold weather moved in, but I did just replace the batteries in both and should be ok. I will check this weekend though. Average since April has been about 9 weeks on battery life. That is with taking about 1300 pictures a month. Picture quality is excellent for a $100 camera. As far as flash goes, I think my deer will pose for the camera after about a week of seeing it. I have several very close ups of the nosey ones. Trigger speed is ok. I had them set on a feeder for most of the time.

There is an external port for the $80 solar cell charger option. I do not use that yet. I think I can come up with a cheaper option on a DIY sollar cell build. If you want battery life, you will need to move up to an IR flash. As long as these last a few more years, I plan on saving for a reconx though.

Good luck on finding a good deal. BP usually has these on sale about every 2 months. I picked both of mine up for $80 on 2 different sales.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here are a couple of pics taken with my Moultrie D40. Granted, the trigger speed sucks, and when it gets below 0, the batteries are not that great, but for $100 bucks, they do the job that I ask.
Attached Thumbnails Best for around 0-mdgc0019.jpg   Best for around 0-mdgc0020.jpg  
Old 12-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Spike

I got a steath cam for $....Its been outside for over a year and is stillperforming well...