Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Trail Cam Users - Built in Viewer Necessary?? >

Trail Cam Users - Built in Viewer Necessary??

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trail Cam Users - Built in Viewer Necessary??

Old 07-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Spike

Default Trail Cam Users - Built in Viewer Necessary??

I am looking at purchasing my first trail camera soon. For those that have had a lot of experience (different models/features) with trail cameras, do you feel that a "built in" viewer is necessary? Is a viewer worth the extra $50? I would like to get an infared camera but I'm not sure I really need the built in viewer. I can see it usefullness but I wonder if it's just another thing that can stop working. Just thinking about it, I think having a couple SD cards that you could swipe out each time you check your camera would be sufficient but I wanted to hear what you guys had to say. For those that have several trail cameras: If you bought one today would it have the "built in" viewer or would you put the extra $50 towards something else.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have four different brands of trailcams and none of them have a viewing screen. In my opinion, I don't think it would be worth it for several reasons. First of all, most of the viewing screens are so small you can't really tell a whole lot about anything. Secondly, I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to stand out there getting eat up by mosquitos while I'm scrolling through the pics. I also don't like to stay in the area for very long to keep my human presence to a minnimum. Some alternatives for you could be to buy one of those digital picture frames they sell at wally-world, or just about anywhere else, for 79.00 and keep that in your truck and then you can view them when you come out. If I can't wait till I get home to view my pics, which is every time I check them, I just bring along my laptop. It is also a good idea to have two cards for each camera. That way you are not bringing your camera in and out all the time. Whatever you decide to do, have a blast!! Hope this helps.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 07-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just use my digital camera and also have 2 SD cards for every cam that I have so I can switch the cards evert time I check my cams. Pike
Old 07-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by J Pike
I just use my digital camera and also have 2 SD cards for every cam that I have so I can switch the cards evert time I check my cams. Pike

Same here, I am currently working on some software to plug them into a Windows Mobile Phone or IPhone. My goal is for the camera guys to use Blue Tooth so we can just beam the pictures to our phones.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

i agree, never use the viewer on the cameras i have actually bought the little viewer that Moultire sells, but only because i like to see the pics on the way home
Old 07-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just swap cards and bring them home so i can show you guys!
Old 07-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

I'll be the odd guy here. I always use the built in viewer. If there are lots of pics, I may leave the cam where it is. If there are few or none it generally gets relocated. Rather know at the time than when I get home. Agreed they're small, but it gives me the info I want at the time.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

none of my 4 cams have them.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MichiganBowbender
If there are lots of pics, I may leave the cam where it is. If there are few or none it generally gets relocated.

I use homebrews which have their own lcd screens. I couldn't do it without them.

In my opinion, there would be nothing worse than getting your cards home and then realize your trailcamera is not triggering or only a couple deer in a few weeks time. That means you need to make another trip out there just to move it.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The viewer does not give alot of detail because of its size. But can let me know if I need to shuffle my camera over to the next trail. With that said I do not have a viewer on any of my cameras now. But will take my laptop to the tree with me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.