Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Trail Cam Users - Built in Viewer Necessary?? >

Trail Cam Users - Built in Viewer Necessary??

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trail Cam Users - Built in Viewer Necessary??

Old 07-28-2009, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

none of my cams have a viewing screen. i tote my digital camera with me in a backpack when checking my game camera's. this way i have a camera readily available if i want one for taking a picture of wildlife and can view my trail cam pic's in the field. not to mention saving the extra $60-$100 per cam.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just got my first one too. I got the Stealth Sniper Pro for $149 at Cabelas. Does not have the built in viewer but it takes nice pics. Now all my hunting is done on public ground and I have a several places I hunt and not too far from home. So I only leave the camera out a few days, bring it home and download the pics and go out and put it somewhere else.
I want to see what deer are using the different areas and not getting pics of the same deer day after day.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Absolute Giant
I am looking at purchasing my first trail camera soon. For those that have had a lot of experience (different models/features) with trail cameras, do you feel that a "built in" viewer is necessary? Is a viewer worth the extra $50? I would like to get an infared camera but I'm not sure I really need the built in viewer. I can see it usefullness but I wonder if it's just another thing that can stop working. Just thinking about it, I think having a couple SD cards that you could swipe out each time you check your camera would be sufficient but I wanted to hear what you guys had to say. For those that have several trail cameras: If you bought one today would it have the "built in" viewer or would you put the extra $50 towards something else.

Thanks for your input.
I would never use the little screen, why pay extra to put one on each camera when you could be looking at needing a whole bunch? I have a little laptop I carry in the truck with me, it will read the cards and has a much bigger screen than any of those little things the Trail Cam companies sell.
FYI the new big thing in trail cams is a wireless downloader deal. The big Idea is u pull in to your hunting spot and this thing down loads your pictures over the wireless. So no smell at all to go check your trail cams, or having to hike out there to get them which is my favorite part.
The other big idea is to use the cell phone network to down load the pictures. This time you don't even have to go to your hunting land. The pictures end up in your email. Its much more expensive and I favor the former over the latter.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Waste in my opinion, I bringa camera to do a quick view to make sure the camera is working and just to get an idea if I got something good but I always swap out the cards and bring them home to dump the pics, if I left them in for more than a couple weeks I would have to sift through 5-600 pics which can be a pain but is fun at the same time