Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 stralthcam i590 or moultree gamespy d40? >

stralthcam i590 or moultree gamespy d40?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

stralthcam i590 or moultree gamespy d40?

Old 03-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: stralthcam i590 or moultree gamespy d40?

I have the newer Moultrie I-60 IR camera ($299.00) and I like how it is performing so far.It takes some really nice IR pictures at night and it reachs out really far,like 40 + feet and the pictures are good.It has the small built-in LCD Viewer screen that helps if you want to view what the camera has taken pictures of,but t is pretty small and can be hard to see during the day is the sun light.It does give you lots of different options to use like a choice of 1,2 or 3 still pictures,or 5,15 or 30 second Video's,it shows time,tempature,date,barometric pressure,moon phase and camera ID.It takes 6-D batteries that last a long time and you can add a solar charger ($79.95) that has its own battery built into it that runs on its own through the camera and the internal D batteries will kick on if there are clouds and the solar battery runs down.I plan on buying a Moultrie I-40 next because they are selling for around $199.00 or less when on sale and I don't really need the built-in LCD Viewer.I returned my new Cuddeback Capture IR camera because it was a piece of Junk that took very poor quality IR pictures,the Hunting magazines advertised it to take 3.0 Day and 3.0 Night pictures when in fact it showed 5.0 Day and 1.3 IR night pictures on the box.

My Brother In-law has the lower model Stealth IR camera ($119.00) and it took very good day and night IR pictures and he is buying another one of those.

Another thing to look for if your wanting to buy a IR Camera is how many LED lights are on the camera itself,the more LED's the better/clear the pictures will be at night!The Moultrie's have around 72 LED's and the newer Cuddeback Capture IR has only around 46 LED's.

Another thing to consider is carrying a regular Digital Camera with you when you check your camera and pull your SD card.You can pop the SD card in your digital camera and view the pictures there or while you are in your tree stand like I do.You do need to watch which digital camera you get because most will read the SD card but not all of them will read a SD card that has IR pictures on them too.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED

Well... Since the D40 is all I have... I am gonna have to say thats the one I'd chose if I had to do if over.

x2
Old 03-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

I had two different D40s and they took really good pics but they wouldn't keep time right. I put new batteries in both cameras several times and would lose as much as an hour over 3 days. I took those back and bought a Stealth I540IR. It works really good for what I use it for. I have posted some pics on this forum that the camera took and the ones I post are reduced to a much smaller size. Original quality are pretty good. If you want a picture that you can blow up to an 8X10 then the stealth wouldn't be a great choice but if you want to be able to see what you have on your property it works fine, especially if you have a feeder or something to hold the deer. As someone already pointed out, the stealth does give blurry pics if deer are moving. That is something I can live with though.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Spike

I have the I40 and find it to be a good camera. If the sunlight hits it in the morning, you will not get colored pictures so face it away from the sun if possible. The minimum 1 minute delay is a problem if you set this camera on a short trail as the animal will be past the camera before the first picture is taken. I haven't tried the camera by a feeder but I can see it working well there.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think i might get the d40 just becasue it has a faster trigger time
Old 03-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Spike

JUst fired up the I40 and the 1 minute delay before the picture is taken is gone. I have it set up to take 3 pictures in a row and then there is a 1 minute before another picture can be taken. First picture is taken almost instantly now.

Something changed as I was talking to a friend on Saturday who has the D40 and he was complaining about the 1 minute delay also.

Great!! now I am really happy with the camera. Hope nothing changes back.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

how do you get rid of the delay on both camera?