Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Camera Strategies >

Camera Strategies

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Camera Strategies

Old 12-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Camera Strategies

Just curious to see what everyones strategies are:

1. Where do you mainly set them up?
2. Over bait or not?
3. How often do you check them?
4. How oftendo youmove them?
5. Leave out all year or just before seasons?

Heres what I do:

1. I like inside corners of crop fields. Somewhere where I can see a good spot for a stand.
2. I use a trophy rock early in the year.(March or April)Just to get an idea whats out there. Baiting here is illegal so I don't put them by stand locations and if they are still there I remove them by August
3. I like to check them every couple weeks. And I shouldn't, but when season gets closer I check them weekly. My curiosity gets to me.
4. I like to move them every 2 weeks also. Even if its just 50 feet or to change the camera direction.
5. I have mine out in March or april til end of bowseason. Someone else rifle hunts the land so I just don't feel safe leaving them out. If I get the chance I'll put it out in Dec or Jan to see what made it throug the year, but the cold here drains the batteries quick.

Any other strategies? Lets hear em!

Old 12-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Camera Strategies

ORIGINAL: Mottz

Just curious to see what everyones strategies are:

1. Where do you mainly set them up?
2. Over bait or not?
3. How often do you check them?
4. How oftendo youmove them?
5. Leave out all year or just before seasons?

Heres what I do:

1. I like inside corners of crop fields. Somewhere where I can see a good spot for a stand.
2. I use a trophy rock early in the year.(March or April)Just to get an idea whats out there. Baiting here is illegal so I don't put them by stand locations and if they are still there I remove them by August
3. I like to check them every couple weeks. And I shouldn't, but when season gets closer I check them weekly. My curiosity gets to me.
4. I like to move them every 2 weeks also. Even if its just 50 feet or to change the camera direction.
5. I have mine out in March or april til end of bowseason. Someone else rifle hunts the land so I just don't feel safe leaving them out. If I get the chance I'll put it out in Dec or Jan to see what made it throug the year, but the cold here drains the batteries quick.

Any other strategies? Lets hear em!
Well to start off i have only bought 2 camera and they were both JUNK! and im getting a new one but ill say what i did when i had the junk ones
1. I have only used them on trails and rubs, but the more research i have done scrapes are sounding better and better
2. I have used apples once but that didnt bring anything since they were half rotten[&:] but im going to try a salt block this season
3. I am like you and check every 2 weeks and when its closer to season i check weekly
4. It depends on whats on the camera, if there is nothing i move it to the next trail or rub but if there is a good buck or alot of does i wait another week
5. In the past it has been from july to november but this year im going to try and do some serious scouting and do it year round
Old 12-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

mottz,

I begin putting my cameras out after our season ends in early January. I leave them out until early March and then begin putting them out again the middle of June. I put them along trails and funnels where history has told me there is good deer movement. I usually check on them about every four to five weeks, if I can stand to wait that long. I don't leave them out after the season begins on Oct. 1st. I have been reconsidering that last point though. I put out an attractant to make them stop and linger so I can carefully check out each animal. I use a product called lucky buck. It comes in a white bucket and the product resembles red sand. I don't know exactly what it is but the deer hammer it. Last summer when I put out just about three cups of it, within a month they had a hole as big as a bushel basket and a foot deep. Well anyway, that's what I do.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 12-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I set up my camera just before memorial weekend. I like to see the new fawns. I had an abundance of apples and they started dropping early. I set up the camera on my property which I only own seven acres but there is 100's of acres of woods and swamp behing me. Anyway, the deer went nuts over the apples. I had some reall bruisers coming in when there was apples on the ground for them.
When the scrapes started popping up around my three acre corn field I positioned the cam on the active scrape around the middle of October. I should have left it on there a little longer because they were still working it when I pulled it off. I got a lot of nice pics while I had it there.
After I used up all the apples I have been putting down a little corn each day to keep them coming. The bucks are starting to show up now trying to fatten up after a hard rut. The bucks I have been seeing are really worn down and skinny.