Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 All white pictures? >

All white pictures?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

All white pictures?

Old 10-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Spike

Default All white pictures?

I have a Moultire D40 that I've been very happy with except for getting all white pictures around 6:30-7:00 pm. I always mount the camera facing North. Anything else I can do to prevent this?
Old 10-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: All white pictures?

I had that problem once and found that the sun was directly hitting the camera...Try moving the camera where it is pointed north or south!!!! When the sun is coming up or going down it had that affect on mine too!!! It sounds like you have yours pointed to the west and when the sun hits it in the evening, it is causing white out's... At least that's what happened to me, I moved it and no more white out's......Good luck..
Old 10-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say somehow you are getting a reflection of the sun even if it is facing north. Don't know how,but here in NE sunset is around 6:40 or so and that's about the time your having problems. Maybe try leaving it in the same spot til next week and see if the white outs change by an hour because of daylight savings. Worth a shot and if it doesn't then I wouldn't know what to tell ya for sure.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

moultries are infamous for whiteouts. The flash is just too bright! All cams have a little difficulty right at sunrise or sunset. Some are just better than others. All the moultrie's I've used have had about 30 minutes too much of flash causing whiteouts. As for facing into the sun, alot of guys plan out their pics to get sunrise/sunset pics by placing the cams towards the east and west.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

I use moultrie's and I have started making a little sheild over and on each side of the camera lens cover between it and the flash and almost eliminated this problem with a little electrical tape,and dont worry about the deer smelling the tape,your leave more scent than that just checking your camera's.hope this helps.It also cut's down on sun glare problems in the middle of the day photo's.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats odd cause I have 3 moultries and have captured only 2 pics of white. 1 of them I couldn't tell what for sure it was, but the 2nd had part of a rack about 2 inches from the camera. So obviously that was flash reflectionoff the deer.