Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trail cam owners

Old 09-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Trail cam owners

Do you put anything out in front of your trail cameras to bribe your deer? From what I know it is not legal to put anything down in Illinois. Do the game wardens frown on this big time? What do you do?
Old 09-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Default RE: Trail cam owners

I put scent down to bribe deer in Illinois, i have been making mock scrapes lately with Tink's power scrape. Got a really nice picture of a big 9 with stickers last year using "Moon Fire", which i think is by WRC. Just soaked a rag and threw it on a limb in front of the cam. Really, if you place the cam in a travel corridor, you will get pictures, I would just advise you to keep them away from the area you are hunting, because its not worth a picture of a deer to let scent contamination ruin the rest of your season. The best places I have found to place cams are corners of open fields that contain food. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, I will try that.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not technically legal in MO but everyone feeds deer corn here.
I stop feeding them before the season (conservation planes are out searching for corn piles about a week before season) but my mineral sites stay active about 10months out of the year. Been doing that for years along with many buddies who do the same thing and never had a problem.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is legaly here as well as long as it is not being done during deer season here. I use apples to help bring them in front of the cam. During deer season it is illegal to bait here so all my baiting is confined to other times of the year. Finding a good deer trail and some scrapes would surely help you out though..
Old 09-30-2008, 08:31 PM

Nothing, that is what a trail camera is for...it does just that -monitoring trails. As long as you stick it in a funnel or a well known trail that deer travel (ie in/out of bedding & feeding) thats all you need.

And as long as you have a scoutguard, you wont miss that buck of a lifetime..
Old 10-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think pa. is 31 days before season opens to feed deer but that is best place for trail cam.

when RUT starts,i make a mock scrap and use tinks in it, i get nice pictures of BUCK only then.

remember,doe in heat will scare away other doe BIGTIME because they think a buck will be there ,i seen this a lot over 45 years or so hunting.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Fork Horn

Never used anything in front of my camera and have had plenty of pictures. Just scout out a good travel corrider and that was it. I know baiting is illegal in NY anyway in season and I had assumed off season as well.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

i place my camera's pointing down trails up until the buck's start making scrapes. then i'll place them pointing towards the scrapes.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope all natural

and so many more

Quick Reply: Trail cam owners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.