Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 New to TC's . . . feature ??'s >

New to TC's . . . feature ??'s

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

New to TC's . . . feature ??'s

Old 06-14-2008, 11:35 AM

Default New to TC's . . . feature ??'s

I've not used a trail cam ever. But found this Mounltrie model at Cabelas for $99.00!
4.0-mega-pixel digital camera but has regular flash and not IR (I assume that means infra-red).
It's the Moultrie Game Spy 4.0 Megapixel Digital Camera.
Am I OK with a $99.00 trail cam? I know, "you get what you pay for", but it seems to have very good customer ratings.
How important is IR? Just for night time pics. Is i6t a flash that the animal doesn't see and is not spooked by it?
Doesn't the regular flash work just as well?
And suggestions on camera placement, maintenance, securing it to a tree?
Old 06-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New to TC's . . . feature ??'s

It is adecent camera.Search this forum and you will find pics and comments about that camera.It is a great starter camera.Welcome to the trailcam addiction.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 1 of those also. For $99 its a great camera. I'll stick with Moultrie. I have 3 now. I can't justify, personally, leaving a $400 camera on a tree. I think you'll be happy when you get your 1st pics. Moultries send bungee cords for securement which I could think of better ways, but I went out and bought an assortment more of them to keep as tight as possible to the tree. If you place on a trail, face the camera down the trail. (Look at the weeds,grass bending overto see if you can tell what way they are going)It gives your motion sensor just a little more time to pick the deer up. Try to avoid pointing it facing the sun. Glare can set it off constantly killing the batteries and filling up your sd card with nothing. Avoid low tree limbs or high grass also. Movement of these will set it off. Try setting up a trophy rock (mineral lick) and set a camera pointing at that. Perfect so seeing whats out there. You know g4l, I've put some out for 3 years now and I'm still learning also. The key phrase is Trial and Error. Good Luck!
Old 06-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

I also have three moultrie game cams a 2.1, 3.0 and a 4.0 they are great cams and have used them for 4 or 5 years now and have never had any problems with them. Here is one of my pics from the 3.0 and one from the 2.0
Old 06-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Dont know why the pics didnt upload
Old 06-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Old 06-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

sorry for some reason i'm having trouble uploading pics not sure why it says successfully uploaded but then no pic is in the post. sorry will try again later
Old 06-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the older versions of the D40 camera were better. Here is a post to my thread. I had a lot of issues and after talking to Moutrie (great customer service) I upgraded to the M40 for $50 (so I spent $150.00 total) and couldn't be happier. From what I've read and been told, they had a lot of issues with some recent runs of the camera and that is why they are offering the upgrade. Now one thing they did tell me is that Walmart did not participate in the upgrade. When I first sent it back they called to tell me that and I had to send them proof of my purchase from Bass Pro Shops to be able to get the upgrade.

I agree that the $99 camera you get what you pay for but I couldn't get it to take pictures at all. Only one time did it work. I could step in front of it and it would never come on. I'd have to bring it in the house and let it warm up for hours only to find there were no pictures or they were black and the date/time was never right. It always set itself back.

I'm very happy with mine. Take a look at these pictures...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2853344
Old 06-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey game4lunch, if you dont have any idea what your doing then check out my video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V4KJlTd1KWE

Old 06-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

personally i'd steer away from that camera. the m40 or i40 are way better cameras. plus they are better on batteries.