Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Securing a camera-possible? >

Securing a camera-possible?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Securing a camera-possible?

Old 12-11-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Securing a camera-possible?

I would love to get a trail camera to put out but i hunt alot of public property and the chances of it being there when i return is like negative 100%[>:]...so is there a way to secure it to prevent theft? If so, then the only thing i need to worry about is arse holes mooning it because they cant steal it!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Securing a camera-possible?

There is no 100% effective way to control theft.I've seenmetal boxes on ebay that you can buy for most camera models. Then you can use a steel cable with a combination paddlock to secure that to the tree (I've always heard these called python cables). This is going to prevent theft by the average guy walking in the woods, but even these aren't 100% effective. It is amazingwhat someone lazy enough to steal your hard earned camera will do to get it. I've heard of people even cutting down trees to steal the camera. If they just put that time and effort into something productive they could afford to buy their own camera.

You also have to worry about people vandalizing them as well. (think of some redneck with a gun and what your average country road sign looks like on that one).

Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think I would put my trail camera out in public woods. I have mine up on property that I own and I am using a home-made security rig-up. If they want the camera bad enough...there is nothing you can do to stop them...they can even cut the tree in half. I think you would be a taking a big chance at losing your cam on public land...but that's just me...
Old 12-30-2007, 07:39 PM

[Reply to Message] All Forums >> [Hi-Tech Hunting] >> Trail Cameras >> Securing a camera-possible? Page: [1]

Fast Reply
I wouldn't put it out on public land cause there is some weird people out there they could shoot it,take,break and etc.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:27 AM
Spike

i think the best way to secure on is with a bear safe box. you can lag bolt it to the tree then lock it on. i use the lock that doesnt have that much clearance on it so they cant cut it with bolt cutters. the boxes are around 30 bucks and the lock is about 15-20, but i think they are worth it. if you get on ebay they have the boxes that fit just about every type of camera out there. i have three for my cudde and one for my wildviews. even if they did vandalize the camera you should still have there pic on the memory card that you could turn into the CO's and law inforcement
Old 12-31-2007, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

The sad thing is if you stop the theif from taking it he'll just destroy it, happened to me on private property. Shot it full of holes when they could steal it. I just don't spend $300. on one, you can get nice pics with the cheaper ones.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: npaden

There is no 100% effective way to control theft.I've seenmetal boxes on ebay that you can buy for most camera models. Then you can use a steel cable with a combination paddlock to secure that to the tree (I've always heard these called python cables). This is going to prevent theft by the average guy walking in the woods, but even these aren't 100% effective. It is amazingwhat someone lazy enough to steal your hard earned camera will do to get it. I've heard of people even cutting down trees to steal the camera. If they just put that time and effort into something productive they could afford to buy their own camera.

You also have to worry about people vandalizing them as well. (think of some redneck with a gun and what your average country road sign looks like on that one).

Ouch, I agree, if they want to steal it, they will. I wouldn't put one up on public property.