Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

solar pannel

Old 12-27-2006, 06:45 PM

Default solar pannel

i just got a moultrie 2.1 and i was wondering if your could put a solar charger on it? and how?
Old 12-27-2006, 07:21 PM

Default RE: solar pannel

Yes you can. If you are using 6 volt rechargable batteries, just clip the alligator clips to the battery with the clips for the camera. This is the set up for cameras like the Moultrie.

This is my set up for my Moultries.

The only batteries you can use with the moultrie cameras are 6 volt. But there are different 6 volt batteries. The batteries for the barbie cars vary from about 9.5 amp / hr to 12 amp / hr. But there are larger amp / hr batteries.I own three cameras and had solar chargers on them all. That worked pretty well, but my cameras take a lot of pics ( from about 300 -600 per week each ) , and that will drain the batteries even with the solar chargers. One thing about the moultries, if the battery ever gets too low, even with the solar chargers, it will go to "battery low" and stop taking pictures. When the battery is charged back up from the solar chargers, it will not start taking pics again until the power switch is turned off and them back on, thus resetting the camera's internal battery meter.

One thing I did, I ordered some 6 volt, 36 amp / hourbatteries, and placed them in hard plastic water proof storage containers from walmart in the hunting / fishing section for about 9.00 each. I got somealligator clip leads from the automotive section at walmart that are about 30 inches long and cliped them to the clips inside the cameraand then to the tabs on the batteries. ( be sure to keep the clips away from each other inside the camera, I used small diameter pipe wrap, or they will sparkand can damage the camera. )

The batteries are 36 amp/hr compaired to regular 4.5 amp/hr batteries.Devide 36 by 4.5 and that number will be the multiple of how many times these batteries will last you over your regular 4.5 amp/hr batteries. Mine have gone from about 4 days with 4.5 amp/hr to about 3 weeks with 36 amp /hr batteries.

I bought my batteries on ebay, and paid 22.00 each and about 10.00 shipping each. But they have saved me a bunch of money already in gas just going out to my lease to change out the batteries. You canalso do a search for them on the net. I got the PM 6360 rechargable lead acid batteries. There is also a PS 6360 that is the same.

I also use 1 gigSD cards that I got at office depot on sale. Thay put them on sale fairly often for about 20.00 - 25.00 each.