Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 What do you think the best game camera is? >

What do you think the best game camera is?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

What do you think the best game camera is?

Old 12-19-2006, 09:19 PM

Default What do you think the best game camera is?

I would like everyone who has a game camera on here to post one picture fromit, And post what they like and dont like about them ,I was getting some good feedback on ranger6.0 digital {retrieverman thanks for all your help} I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:21 PM

Default RE: What do you think the best game camera is?

I like the Cuddeback ones, there expencive but there worth it
Old 12-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

I like the trigger on my cudde expert but I don't like the 1min wait time btw pics. My Leaf River BU3-IR seems to be working really good. It's trigger is alot slower than the cudde around 2 secs but it will take 3 pics in the time that a cudde will take one.The LR has a better setup system also as far as how it attaches to the tree. I like the logic behind my cudde but its a little bit of a hassel. The cudde takes a really great color pic and has an exceptional flash range. The LR takes a pretty good pic but its not as clear as other infa red cams I've seen. If I had to get another cam right now and I would probably get a cudde....unless the LR's were onsale.

Primos has a camera out now that looks like its jam up. Only thing is it cost $700+. But its infared with a claimed 1/4sec trigger and can take several pics a minute. I wish cudde or leafriver would come out with a 1/2sec or better trigger and a 3-5sec reset time. Cudde has the trigger but a 1min reset and the LR has the Reset time but a slow trigger. If only you could merge 2cams to make one
Old 12-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

I've reviewed 19 of them and you can read them at the website listed in my signature.

Out of the 19 and those that are still available I like the Trail Watcher 4040 the best all around. I'm also partial to the one I built that has the Sony P41 in it.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Snoogsdad

I've reviewed 19 of them and you can read them at the website listed in my signature.

Out of the 19 and those that are still available I like the Trail Watcher 4040 the best all around. I'm also partial to the one I built that has the Sony P41 in it.
Snoogsdad
It appears like you really did your homework. I am impressed! BUT, why did you not include a Camtrakker in your study? Just curious.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:22 AM

yeah snoogsdad i'm with retrieverman why??? did't you do camtrakker because thier very nice camera's just wanderin.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

I just haven't gotten to Camtrakker yet. I don't have enough money to try all of them but I try to test as many as I can. I also live close to a Cabela's. It's really coninient to just stop in there and buy cameras. They have great service if something goes wrong with the camera.

Camtrakker's current cam uses a Sony 6.0 and I have reviewed one cam with that Sony in it, but Camtrakker uses C cell batteries so it would be interesting to see how they stack up against the 9 volt batteries most of the other similar cameras use.

I'm also going to build one with a Sony 6.0 in the next few weeks.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:56 AM

So far my favorite is the first homemade camera I built. The camera was a Sony S40 4mp camera and the brain was a Pixcontroller board. My search started just like yours and I ended up being brave enough to try an build a camera. What I learned in my search was that cameras like the Camtrakker and TrailWatcher and many other great cameras are simply Sony cameras with Pixcontroller or Snapshot Sniper control boards. I ain't sayin you have to build your own, but I am saying that I built a camera equal to the 2 mentioned above for roughly half the price. If you are interested in giving it a shot check out this forum
With the pix board(i have only used the pixcontroller but i have heard great things about the snapshot sniper) and the sony camera I would say trigger speed around 2 seconds and reset to shoot again in 10 seconds. All boards come with many different options and setups that rival or pass the commercial camera. You can set the camera up to take video during daylight. You can set it up to take burst shots, up to 3 images on 1 event. They are very versatile
I attached a pic of 2 cameras just to show size and design.
Deer season is almost over, building a trail camera could be a good summer project