Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

smooth rifle ?

Old 10-27-2018, 11:39 PM
Spike

Default smooth rifle ?

Hi All , I have read here the definition of what makes a smooth rifle just to show that i may be a bit short on sandwiches for a picnic I have a .62 cal fowler and have been toying with the idea of putting a rear sight on it would this make it a smooth rifle or is it a bit like someone who has had a sex change , really not one or other ... to be tricky ,there is a place near where i live which will allow people to shoot ducks but there are a lot of deer on the property so I am able to shoot there with my shotgun but I don't like to eat ducks nor do my friends but since I have a shot gun and a muzzle loader to boot do you think they would notice that I was loaded for deer ( there are no bears in NZ and no turky's on the property Rob
Old 11-27-2018, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

So you're asking us to give you a blessing to do something illegal? Well you're not going to get it here. The greater majority of members on this forum are ethical hunters that would not intentionally break a game law. I myself am a Hunter-Trapper Educational instructor and rules, regulations and ethics are some of the things we teach in our classes.

But there is nothing wrong with putting a set of sights on your fowler piece and see how it shoots. And if its accurate enough for deer then by all means use it where it is legal to do so.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

In my state, a person needs written permission from the landowner to hunt on their private property.
But from what I understand, in some other states a person can hunt on private property as long as it's not posted that hunting is not permitted.
Some places have highly regulated deer seasons where tags are issued that need to be attached to the harvested deer,
but I don't know if that's a universal or international practice or not.

Perhaps in some countries there aren't any strictly regulated deer seasons and deer are treated like we treat coyotes where they can be hunted all year round,
maybe like kangaroos or rabbits in some places.
Unregulated game have no designated seasons and can be hunted year round.
It's best to consult with the landowner if that's what the law requires where you live.
If it's not required to obtain the permission of the landowner to hunt deer on that property and it is legal to kill deer, then perhaps it's not unethical or illegal to kill deer on that property.

It's possible that TrobH is only apprehensive about killing deer in a traditional duck hunting area, perhaps because it's private land or he just doesn't know the legalities.
I don't know why.
But I don't understand why TrobH would be concerned if anyone notices that he loaded his shotgun with a ball instead of shot unless he's concerned about doing something shady.

TrobH check your game laws and what kind of game can be hunted on that property and if it's public or private land.
If you're not sure then the best policy is to be legal and safe at all times.

If it's not legal to be loaded with ball and only legal to be loaded with shot on that property then don't do it.
But if deer are legal to shoot on that property, then by all means find out for sure before you load up with a ball.
Don't be shy about asking the game authorities or local law enforcement, they work for you, a member of the public and a citizen.
If there were ever a hunting accident, you would be in serious hot water if you're not on the right side of the law.
But hunting deer can be like performing a public service, and it's part of ethical game management.
Just do the right thing and find out for sure about your hunting rights and when you could be breaking the law.

Most places have a town hall where the property records are kept.
Sometimes a computer can be used to find out if a parcel of land is public or private and who owns it.
There's maps with parcel numbers and land owner's names attached to them.
Ask the right officials to help you out.
Also read your game laws or ask the right questions about them that you need to know about to stay legal.

Last edited by arcticap; 12-04-2018 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

Someone from New Zealand posted this on another site:

"... we do not have hunting seasons for Deer. Deer and other large game are just hunted all year round generally with rifles even suppressed along with NV or thermal. "