HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - smooth rifle ?
Thread: smooth rifle ?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 09:38 AM
arcticap
Typical Buck

In my state, a person needs written permission from the landowner to hunt on their private property.
But from what I understand, in some other states a person can hunt on private property as long as it's not posted that hunting is not permitted.
Some places have highly regulated deer seasons where tags are issued that need to be attached to the harvested deer,
but I don't know if that's a universal or international practice or not.

Perhaps in some countries there aren't any strictly regulated deer seasons and deer are treated like we treat coyotes where they can be hunted all year round,
maybe like kangaroos or rabbits in some places.
Unregulated game have no designated seasons and can be hunted year round.
It's best to consult with the landowner if that's what the law requires where you live.
If it's not required to obtain the permission of the landowner to hunt deer on that property and it is legal to kill deer, then perhaps it's not unethical or illegal to kill deer on that property.

It's possible that TrobH is only apprehensive about killing deer in a traditional duck hunting area, perhaps because it's private land or he just doesn't know the legalities.
I don't know why.
But I don't understand why TrobH would be concerned if anyone notices that he loaded his shotgun with a ball instead of shot unless he's concerned about doing something shady.

TrobH check your game laws and what kind of game can be hunted on that property and if it's public or private land.
If you're not sure then the best policy is to be legal and safe at all times.

If it's not legal to be loaded with ball and only legal to be loaded with shot on that property then don't do it.
But if deer are legal to shoot on that property, then by all means find out for sure before you load up with a ball.
Don't be shy about asking the game authorities or local law enforcement, they work for you, a member of the public and a citizen.
If there were ever a hunting accident, you would be in serious hot water if you're not on the right side of the law.
But hunting deer can be like performing a public service, and it's part of ethical game management.
Just do the right thing and find out for sure about your hunting rights and when you could be breaking the law.

Most places have a town hall where the property records are kept.
Sometimes a computer can be used to find out if a parcel of land is public or private and who owns it.
There's maps with parcel numbers and land owner's names attached to them.
Ask the right officials to help you out.
Also read your game laws or ask the right questions about them that you need to know about to stay legal.

Last edited by arcticap; 12-04-2018 at 01:48 AM.