Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Cast some connies today

Old 03-31-2018, 02:51 PM
Banned

Default Cast some connies today

Made a bunch of the 250gr REALs today. I need to buy some felt and punch out some wads. Right now I am using lubed Veg wads which do wonderful, but wanting to experiment with different wadding. I also made some with hard lead which I got from melting down 25lbs of chilled lead bird shot. I am hoping that over time the bullets will swell up and fit a little more snug in the bore. Not 100% I feel confident enough that they will stay on the powder charge while hunting. I'll give these a couple days to set up and then pan lube them.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-27-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I used to shoot those 250 gr REALs all the time out of my 1:48 T/C Hawken. For me they shot excellent when pushed pretty hard. 100 gr of FFFg was the charge I shot without any wad under it.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

This is what I did, I still have to test them on the Lee REAL's.

2 part deer tallow and 1 parts beeswax. Next time I think I will cut them dry and lube the wads in the hot mixture lightly dipping them and then bake all of them in foil. That was the advice I got a Cast boolits.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Banned

I dont use any beeswax or paraffin, but these I cut out yesterday and they came out awesome. Going to work on making some wads next.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Jon, How come the 3 bullets on the right in your picture above are Frosty, and the 3 on the left aren’t? They don’t have lube on them. Awesome idea on hardening the lead to get them to hold the bore tighter!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 54bore
Jon, How come the 3 bullets on the right in your picture above are Frosty, and the 3 on the left aren’t? They don’t have lube on them. Awesome idea on hardening the lead to get them to hold the bore tighter!
I told you guys,I made a bunch with pure lead, and some that are made from chilled lead shot, which is hard lead, and are the frosty color. These were to see if the harder alloy fit better and added some resistance to hold the bullet snug in the bore.

The hard lead loads with a great deal of resistance vs the pure lead. Accuracy with both alloys stayed the same.