Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Went scouting, found a big surprise >

Went scouting, found a big surprise

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Went scouting, found a big surprise

Old 07-26-2017, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

MD, curious, is there a law that says trees marked for removal have to be tagged for a certain period of time prior to removal. Im just asking as is it possible they marked it not long after you where there and then came back and cut it down prior to you getting there?
Old 07-26-2017, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 54bore
Crawfish out of it? LOLOL! You obviously don't know me
Lewis?

I imagine he knows a tiny bit more than you think he does.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Lewis?

I imagine he knows a tiny bit more than you think he does.
Lewis is me! Do i know this guy? I might of came across as being rude/mean with the Granola, Tree Hugger, Bunny hugger etc. But in the timber industry that is TRULY what people are called that freak out over logging operations. I have nothing against Jon whatsoever, i probably should have made it more a joke toward Jon since I personally don't know his stand on Logging? I have personally logged areas/fell the trees where i once hunted, and yes it is a bummer in some instances, but nothing one can do about it besides deal with it. State and federal lands Log timber (not so much forrest service anymore, but they do now and then) its been that way for eons, BUT If it is illegal wood cutters falling green trees that is a WHOLE different deal, It falls under theft of timber and carries a serious penalty, possibly jail time
Old 07-26-2017, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

When federal government logs national forests, you should see markings. One color to cut and another for boundary.

By me blue and orange. But you can Google and find the color codes.

Obviously they cut live trees.

It's nice to have trails widen and cleared, but it leaves a mess. Nice in winter when can travel above stumps and tops.

Lots of great firewood left behind.

If you didn't see standing trees with noundties,may not have traveled fire enough.

I've never seen public land clear cut, but they may do it if they have a plan.

Also need to know if it is really public land, or corporate land open to public.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Around here the trees to be cut aren't marked by Forest Service. The trees to be left are marked orange. The boundaries are marked blue. The trees on the boundary are marked both blue, and orange.

Elk, and deer don't eat trees.

___
Old 07-26-2017, 09:53 AM
Banned

The deer and elk love chewing on aspens. If the branches are low enough, they'll eat the leaves off that tree till there's nothing left.

As for the tree clearing, I'll look further into that. I'm out of state waiting on a transmission to get here. I'll show some pics of the area from last year when I get home.

___[/QUOTE]
Old 07-26-2017, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

US forestry uses different colors than those. I am not sure what is used on private land.

You can Google pdf for federal land. They have 3 different colors for boundary and to be cut.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Around here the trees to be cut aren't marked by Forest Service. The trees to be left are marked orange. The boundaries are marked blue. The trees on the boundary are marked both blue, and orange.

___
[QUOTE=ronlaughlin;4311778]Around here the trees to be cut aren't marked by Forest Service. The trees to be left are marked orange. The boundaries are marked blue. The trees on the boundary are marked both blue, and orange.

I moved here to North Idaho from the Wa coast a little over 6 years ago, the way they Log here is totally different than the Coast, here it is 99% thin logging, BUT the funny part is they will log the same unit OVER N OVER, about the time the new little trees start growing good (3-4 years) they will go back in and mark a bunch more timber to cut, the trees will be circled with spray paint, when i go to a job they will tell me to fall every tree with whatever color they have chosen, i have worked State land jobs that had 4 and 5 different colors painted on them, That means its been logged that many times, in my opinion it is one of the DUMBEST things i have ever seen! Why not go in and Log what they want to take 1 time and LEAVE THE PLACE ALONE, allowing the new little trees to grow, but instead they end up destroying most of the new little trees each time they go in and Log, ABSOLUTELY makes no sense?? Greed? I don't know how they think when they lay out these sales, and doubtful i ever will. The State boundary line will be painted in Red slash marks (In a pattern of claw scratch mark)

Here you are allowed to cut firewood for a certain amount of time on State and Federal Land WITH A PERMIT. You are actually allowed and encouraged to Fall dead standing trees, and obviously stuff that is already down. One big problem with this is the Western Larch (Tamarack) they shed their needles in the fall just like leaf bearing trees, and they look dead, when in fact they are fully alive, lot of people take advantage of that and act as if they thought they were dead. Also there are quite a few guys around here that cut firewood for a living, Seems everyone around here burns wood in the winter, firewood is in high demand from folks that aren't able to cut it themselves. For the most part guys seem pretty good about it, they cut true dead standing and down trees, BUT there is always a few that cut green living trees that are easy along side the main mountain rds etc. its these guys that screw it up for EVERYONE, they eventually put gates up and block vehicle traffic from entering due to Theft of Timber.

So as i stated previously, Jon, i would contact State or federal lands (whatever this place is for sure on) and turn the activity in, they will monitor it, and hopefully catch the guy or guys that are doing it, IF in fact they are doing it illegally? But If they have a permit, or it is some how a Timber Sale, there is absolutely ZERO you can do about it. Again, if it is legal it will be marked, either painted, or ribboned, And it is obviously legal if there are log trucks hauling the logs, and heavy equipment in the area
Old 07-26-2017, 10:29 AM
Banned

Zero logging trucks. Last year just a guy and I'm assuming his wife out there cutting in a white flat bed dodge. It's just puzzling why they leveled this area. I saw no markings on the trees, they were young growth. Could have been a project in the area, just never know.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Zero logging trucks. Last year just a guy and I'm assuming his wife out there cutting in a white flat bed dodge. It's just puzzling why they leveled this area. I saw no markings on the trees, they were young growth. Could have been a project in the area, just never know.

That sounds pretty suspicious to me, flat bed dodge, and nothing marked. I'd place a bet that it's illegal firewood cutting. Those kind of characters need stopped, They are the reason we are losing access to our State and Federal lands by means of Gated roads. Could they drive to pretty much everything and load it easy enough without having to pack it very far? Thats another tale tale sighn, most of the illegal firewood guys aren't going to work very hard for it, they usually take whatever they can get to the easiest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.