Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Went scouting, found a big surprise >

Went scouting, found a big surprise

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Went scouting, found a big surprise

Old 07-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Banned

Default Went scouting, found a big surprise

My dad, brother and I went and took a ride out to our hunting area today. My dad missed last year due to big surgery issues that almost killed him. Hes been itching bad to go out and do some hiking to get back into shape since he lost so much weight and muscle from the hospital time he did.

We got up there around 2pm and took him to a new camping spot and our jaws dropped.

The person cutting trees down last year, took EVERYTHING, including the trees we parked the camper under!

We took the time to scout around for a new spot to camp this year and luckily they didnt completely wipe out the next area we will try this year. Its next to a real rough 4x4 trail so hopefully we wont have much traffic. Just really sickened me to see a forest wiped out like that. Living trees! I thought it was illegal in CO ntl forest to cut down living trees for firewood? It sure was when we would cut in ntl forest.

Next step was to do some light hiking and so we took him to our new deer hunting area my brother and I found last year where he got his doe. A little up hill walking, but thats what my dad needs as he gets sick to his stomach when he does any up hill walking. He did real good and we'd stop and take a rest now and then to make sure he didnt over push him self. No deer in he area today but lots of elk sign.

The entire hunting areas are just filled with water and green grass and flowers. It was like walking through a painting. Also picked some mushrooms and found the edible ones.

Just a shot of one of the elk areas I will be hiking down into.

I found a nice deep ravine in that area and want to check it out. Its a long uphill climb, so that will be the day when I strip down the bare minimum and go at it. Maybe find a deer or even a bear down there. They seem to hang out in these areas for shade and water.

On the drive back down the mountain, a little 150lb UGLY as sin, dirty blonde body/ brownish red head, bear ran across the road. Had to have been the ugliest bear i've ever seen to date.

Hunting season is looking good so far, just hope the rain keeps up so we don't have to deal with crunchy grass and leaves. The aspens today were just amazing.

Nice cool rain came through soaking everything, smelled so damn good. A lot of aspen damage however from the spring snows. A lot of the younger trees are stilled bent over and a ton of them are snapped or had to be cut by the forest service. Just a real mess of a jungle.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 08-10-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice looking area. But about the trees. They are a natural renewable resource and will come back. Maybe with so many gone they were harvested. No sense having them getting old and die and rot away. And all that fresh young growth coming up next year should be an elk attractant.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:15 AM
Fork Horn

I have worked in the Timber industry all of my life, From setting chokers under the big Skagit Yarders, to Production Timber falling (my current position) Jon, In the Timber industry you my friend are what we call a Granola, Tree Hugger, Bunny Hugger, etc. etc.

More than likely the guy is doing this Illegally, There are plenty of idiots everywhere you go that do stuff like this, it's possible the guy is out of work and illegally cutting and selling firewood? That is a common occurrence around here. it is NOT legal to cut living trees on forest service, or state land UNLESS it is a logging sale, The trees are dead, and you have a permit to cut them for firewood, or the trees have been marked as damaged from bugs etc. Are they hauling the logs out on a log Truck? Is there heavy machinery there doing work? Are there trees marked with paint, ribbon, etc? If so its a legal timber sale. By all means, If you think this guy is in the wrong and doing this illegally turn him in to the forest service, they will eventually catch him and he will be in trouble!! Guys like this need to be caught, its a bummer to see Nice living Trees hacked up from Wood cutters! But On the other hand if it is a legal Timber sale LEAVE THE MAN ALONE and let him do his job, until you have done a job like this you have NO IDEA how physically hard, demanding it is! Around here i am called to Fall timber for High Lead logging sides, this means ground machinery can not operate on it due to terrain being to rough, etc. So they hire me to fall the Timber in such places, and they log it from the road with a Swing type Yarder with Cable line, this usually entails Rock cliff, steep, nasty terrain, I put on my gear, throw my saw over my shoulder and go, my life is at risk from the time i start my saw, til my 6hr day is up and i shut my saw down. I invite you to come along sometime, make every step i do in a day, carry the weight i do, etc. i PROMISE you will sleep good that night, and likely have a WHOLE different outlook on Timber falling, and what it takes to get it done.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

54 bore, what is your problem? All the man said is that he hated to see such a big chunk of forest wiped out and that he thought it was illegal to cut timber on federal ground. I can't think of one person who would not be disappointed to arrive at their hunting spot and find it gone from being logged off! He certainly didn't say anything to cause you to go off on a tangent and call him a tree hugger, bunny hugger, granola etc. Your presumption and sorry post makes you look like a person who will not get along here, (I won't use the words I want to use), especially since it was your 4th post and you have no feel at all about the people who post on this site. The fact that you work in the logging industry doesn't give you leave to spout the kind of crap that you did. For the record, I eat bunnies, I don't hug them and I don't eat Granola!
Old 07-26-2017, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

MD, I have had this issue as well where I hunt. Not much I can do about it as I don't own the land but it does suck to arrive the following season and finding a very good and productive area barren of what it was. My biggest ax to grind (not pun intended) about it is the minimal oversight of the entire process. Talked to guys that get permission to go in a cut dead timber, pines, and a few other trees but then end up cutting down everything in their path including grand oaks and trees along what has been actually declared marsh lands. Then they turn around and plant pines in their place. It sucks but gotta move on and find a new place to hunt.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
54 bore, what is your problem? All the man said is that he hated to see such a big chunk of forest wiped out and that he thought it was illegal to cut timber on federal ground. I can't think of one person who would not be disappointed to arrive at their hunting spot and find it gone from being logged off! He certainly didn't say anything to cause you to go off on a tangent and call him a tree hugger, bunny hugger, granola etc. Your presumption and sorry post makes you look like a person who will not get along here, (I won't use the words I want to use), especially since it was your 4th post and you have no feel at all about the people who post on this site. The fact that you work in the logging industry doesn't give you leave to spout the kind of crap that you did. For the record, I eat bunnies, I don't hug them and I don't eat Granola!
Did you seriously read my post? I gave Jon advice on what to do, if it is illegal wood cutting CALL the authorities and turn it in!! As i said, it is a HORRIBLE shame to see our Federal and state land hacked up by people doing it illegally!! BUT if it is NOT illegal, DEAL WITH IT!! Thats logging, it's been being done forever. Some folks have a REAL ISSUE with logging, yet they live in a house built of wood, they wipe there ... with toilet paper that was made from trees. Go ahead and use the words you wanted to, I'd LOVE to hear them!?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh yeah, I read each andevery word and these are your words to MountainDevil, not mine," Jon, In the Timber industry you my friend are what we call a Granola, Tree Hugger, Bunny Hugger, etc. etc".

What came afterwards doesn't mean spit, you already insulted the guy. Don't try to crawfish out of it now. You aren't worth getting a ban for using the words I would like to.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-26-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:25 AM
Banned

Far from a tree hugger. This was young pine. Luckily I have a picture from last year. No tagging or painting on the trees. No clue if it's illegal or not, but the guy wiped out an entire area of trees that were still young and in a high altitude where they would most likely not even reach full potential. Just dissapointed he ruined our area for camping.

Originally Posted by 54bore
I have worked in the Timber industry all of my life, From setting chokers under the big Skagit Yarders, to Production Timber falling (my current position) Jon, In the Timber industry you my friend are what we call a Granola, Tree Hugger, Bunny Hugger, etc. etc.

More than likely the guy is doing this Illegally, There are plenty of idiots everywhere you go that do stuff like this, it's possible the guy is out of work and illegally cutting and selling firewood? That is a common occurrence around here. it is NOT legal to cut living trees on forest service, or state land UNLESS it is a logging sale, The trees are dead, and you have a permit to cut them for firewood, or the trees have been marked as damaged from bugs etc. Are they hauling the logs out on a log Truck? Is there heavy machinery there doing work? Are there trees marked with paint, ribbon, etc? If so its a legal timber sale. By all means, If you think this guy is in the wrong and doing this illegally turn him in to the forest service, they will eventually catch him and he will be in trouble!! Guys like this need to be caught, its a bummer to see Nice living Trees hacked up from Wood cutters! But On the other hand if it is a legal Timber sale LEAVE THE MAN ALONE and let him do his job, until you have done a job like this you have NO IDEA how physically hard, demanding it is! Around here i am called to Fall timber for High Lead logging sides, this means ground machinery can not operate on it due to terrain being to rough, etc. So they hire me to fall the Timber in such places, and they log it from the road with a Swing type Yarder with Cable line, this usually entails Rock cliff, steep, nasty terrain, I put on my gear, throw my saw over my shoulder and go, my life is at risk from the time i start my saw, til my 6hr day is up and i shut my saw down. I invite you to come along sometime, make every step i do in a day, carry the weight i do, etc. i PROMISE you will sleep good that night, and likely have a WHOLE different outlook on Timber falling, and what it takes to get it done.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Oh yeah, I read each andevery word and these are your words to MountainDevil, not mine," Jon, In the Timber industry you my friend are what we call a Granola, Tree Hugger, Bunny Hugger, etc. etc".

What came afterwards doesn't mean spit, you already insulted the guy. Don't try to crawfish out of it now. You aren't worth getting a ban for using the words I would like to.
Crawfish out of it? LOLOL! You obviously don't know me
Old 07-26-2017, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Far from a tree hugger. This was young pine. Luckily I have a picture from last year. No tagging or painting on the trees. No clue if it's illegal or not, but the guy wiped out an entire area of trees that were still young and in a high altitude where they would most likely not even reach full potential. Just dissapointed he ruined our area for camping.
Jon, it sounds illegal to me? A real Logging sale ESPECIALLY on forrest service, or state land will clearly be marked, boundaries, trees to be taken etc. If i were you i would turn it in to the Authorities, it is considered Theft of timber, and carries a very hefty penalty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.