Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Made some gear today

Old 07-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Banned

Default Made some gear today

Bottom sheath was my first one I made before finding a drawing on how to make the top sheath for a belt. I really like them, I think they came out nice. I left room for bead work once I get some beads at rendezvous next year, but overall, they function and will be used this year in the field.

Punching holes and using leather stitching was a hell of a lot easier going and actually fun while I worked.

The belt sheath I will clean up tomorrow where I punched hole for the belt loop. Time to relax and get the mountain rifle ready for some fun tomorrow IF its not raining all day long like today.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I want to make a sheath like that Jon. Where did you get the scrap leather and what weight did you use. I always liked that traditional design where the belt goes through the hole and the sheath sets under the belt.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:35 AM
Banned

Bronko, not sure on weight but it measures slight under 1/8" thick.

Got the leather at rendezvous. Made my friend a possibles bag and figured for my time, we could spare some leather and allow myself to make a couple knife sheaths lol.

I think adding some brass rivets will add a nice touch to it. Not many though, just a half dozen right below the belt slit.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:54 AM
Banned

After using Rays gun wax on the leather. Much happier with the color now!

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:29 PM.