Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Got my new rest today

Old 07-14-2017, 11:26 AM
Banned

Default Got my new rest today

I only took one shot off them due to rain, but so far, the rest fits my mountain rifle perfectly and is steady. They are indeed molded soft rubber. I almost thought is was rubber over plastic but no, its rubber.

So far, I love the way it feels and that the rear rest doesn't come up against your mouth like my bag "earred" bag rest does. Light weight and at the end of the day, the small rear rest, stores in the bottom of the front rest and snaps into place.

I'll have to do a lot more shooting with it down the road when the rain stops, but the real test will be when I drop my M44 mosin nagant down into place. It was the snazzy archangel stock which is a pain to find a decent rest for due to the stock design.
"Nest Rest" 2-Piece Shooting Rest

• Large Rest: 6.6"Hx6"Wx5"D
  • Small Rest 4.7"Hx5.5"Wx4.5"D
  • Pieces nest and lock together to save space.
  • Soft, non-marring surface.
  • Small Rest stacks on large rest for additional height adjustment.
  • Made in USA

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jon I had an MTM one piece rest that was similar and that hard rubber plays havoc with your groups. At least it did for me. I went back to an adjustable front rest with a sand bag and sand bags for the rear. I also put my hand under the forearm between the stock and the rest. That would be difficult or at least uncomfortable with that type rest. But I hope it works for you.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:01 PM
Banned

not the same set up as an mtm. I to had one and hated it, Constant inconsistent groups. Its a total down pour here, so shooting is off until tomorrow. Looks like a hurricane going on outside!

This is actually a soft rubber. I did try my mosin nagant on it and the cut outs were perfect and the rifle balanced real nice. Thats the real test rifle!
Old 07-14-2017, 03:46 PM
Banned

Took a couple shots at 100 yards with my normal hunting load but ONE change up. I used the thinner .015" bridges best patches because I was out of lubed .020" patches.

Got soaked from all the brush and the shooting table, but it was well worth it!

Accuracy was still outstanding for open sights and patched balls at 100 yards.

The new Nest Rest did perfect and allowed for plenty of adjustment and comfort. I thought because they are so light weight that they would blow out from under the rifle during recoil but that did not happen one bit. It was nice not having to shift sand around after each shot.

After today, I will go back to my .020" patches, clean the rifle completely, oil it and hang it back up on the wall until hunting season. ZERO reason to keep blowing powder through this one.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

Come on now Mountain Devil, there is always a reason to blow powder through a good shooting rifle. I'm always on constant lookout for reasons. I'm bored, go shoot. I'm frustrated, go shoot. I'm randy, go shoot (different rifle though). I got a problem I just can't seem to focus on, go shoot. I could keep going but I think you get the point.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:51 PM
Banned

Oh I got a bunch more that need to be sighted in. This one is as perfect as I can get it. I'll use this for my elk and deer hunt, so its just time to strip it, clean it, oil it and hang it on the wall for safe keeping.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Growing up, the old man was really into smokers. I just migrated to them more so than CF's. He used to go shoot at those Friendship shoots every year. Always took me and Deb with him. Gave me a couple of his rifles when he set them down. Over the years I've accumulated 16 of the damn things including the 2 customs he gave me. Only one wall hanger among them. The rest, I find a reason to shoot them as often as I can with the just because I want to reason being chief among all. The wall hanger is an ancient Barnett in dang near perfect condition. You couldn't pay me to shoot that bugger.