Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

nothing yet

Old 12-27-2016, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default nothing yet

But what a gorgeous day. After a wet night the sun came out this morning and temps climbed up to right around 50*. Can't argue about that for late December here in PA. After sitting for about an hour and half I spent the better part of the day sneaking through the forest trying to keep the wind in my face. I made about a 2 mile or so circle that took me a good 4 hours. I was moving at a snail's pace. I knew I was doing pretty good because I was able to get up to 15 and 20 yards on a couple squirrels and even within 50 yards of 4 gobblers. I did have grouse bust out of a thicket about 10' from me causing my heart to skip a beat or two. The woods were so quiet walking on the wet leaves and very little wind.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Winter hunting. It is what it is. Some times it works for you, and other times just gets you cold.

Its been so cold, snowing and windy here, just terrible. Then we got hit with freezing drizzle and snow the other day. It froze so hard to the ground you can drive your ATV on top of it and not break through.

Don't you love it when them grouse bust you. I had two in a tree next to the mail box about cause me to mess my pants the other day. Never even saw them up there in that black cherry tree. I also saw an interesting track in the snow yesterday. I am sure it was a bobcat or else there is a domestic cat running around my place. Big wide fur paws on it. We don't have any lynx that I know of.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Probably a big ole Bobby cayu. Keep your head on a swivel buddy. Them buggers will jump down from a tree on you before you ever know they are there if you aren't careful. I spotted one just before it made it's leap and was able to get my rifle butt into it's chest mid air. Took the fight right outta him.

Good luck to you Clem. Hope the weather holds for you.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing for me yet either...but I haven't been hunting yet either!! Winds were horrendous Monday, I had other crap going on Tuesday, and I was offered the opportunity to fish for lake-run rainbow trout today so that's what I opted for. Spent the day fishing with my son and brought home two beautiful rainbows... one 21" and one 19". Cleaned and packaged both of them whole for my Brother & Sister in law who will be leaving for Alabama Jan. 2nd to winter over.
Both of those fish will be a gift for a very good friend of theirs who takes care of their property while they're up here for the warm months. He told them he's never eaten trout so they promised to bring him some. I'm sending some of my homemade Venison bologna with them as well. They are really good people and have done some very nice things for my wife and I so I'm happy to share nature's bounty with them.

I plan on getting out with a flintlock tomorrow afteroon and every chance I get afterward until season closes.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 12-29-2016 at 07:32 AM.