Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Traditions St.Louis Hawken Build How To >

Traditions St.Louis Hawken Build How To

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Traditions St.Louis Hawken Build How To

Old 12-20-2016, 02:09 PM
Banned

Just some progress, but you can see the stock is completely finished and ready to go! Just waiting on the barrel,under rib,lock and hammer to finish browning.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Banned

Finished gun on page 1!
Old 01-02-2017, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Finished gun on page 1!

Nice job Jon... looks great!! And a very informative write up for anyone looking to pursue a kit gun project.

BPS
Old 01-02-2017, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Imma gonna be picky here kiddo. Pick #1: That work you did on the Patch Box doesn't look like patina. It looks like it's been rubbed (which it was). Pick#2: I have seen you do MUCH better fit and finish work. It looks like you rushed through all the fitting of your brass. Uneven and imprecise wood to brass fit. Especially around the lock panel and the butt plate.

Coloring of the stock came out beautiful which is a usual for you. Barrel came out nice with that browning. Lock and Hammer looks a bit spotty in the browning but that happens a lot with them so can't really pick at that.

Over all, in comparison to your usual work, I gotta give you a c+. With this being a sort of "tutorial", I expected your BEST Jon!!
Old 01-02-2017, 11:23 AM
Banned

Patch box was dark gun metal like the trigger guard, its worn off while handing/ moving around in the case, which is whats to be expected. Thats easy enough to redo, but what ever rubs it, is going to leave uneven appear, just like patina. Note the wedge key plates as well. Those were gun metal color, but now have worn down to aged brass.

As for fit and finish, you need yer eyes checked! the metal to wood is perfectly even, all except for the trigger guard where I state i purposely left extra wood for future refinish work in case of damage.

If you want to nit nick, go to those for $4000 rifles that look beat the heck up but are brand new

This is a clean machine with excellent wood to metal fit and artificially aged.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54

Over all, in comparison to your usual work, I gotta give you a c+. With this being a sort of "tutorial", I expected your BEST Jon!!
For the love of God and Sonny Jesus...he's not HERSCHEL HOUSE!!

BPS
Old 01-02-2017, 02:39 PM
Banned

If'n I was house, There would be gouges and scrapes all over it Then have a $4000 price tag.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:53 PM
Banned

BTW I took a little steel wool, buffed it and added a few more coats of brass black. It will do the same thing and wear off again, but you get the idea.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
If'n I was house, There would be gouges and scrapes all over it Then have a $4000 price tag.
HAHAHAHA!!...When I was a kid, I used to keep the brass on my first Hawken rifle shiny and bright. As I got older I realized that's not a good thing if you're going to hunt with the rifle and as I got older yet, I gravitated toward the Renegades and others that didn't have all that bling.
The brass has dulled up now on my older Hawken rifles and they look just fine by me!

BPS
Old 01-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Banned

exactly, I HATE brass. Its ok when its aged, but shiny or dull, I just flat out hate it. The steel trim kit available is a PITA so its not even worth swapping. Cerakote is another option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.