Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Bob Hoyt's .54

Old 11-03-2016, 10:10 AM
Banned

Yes mine used the allen wrench.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes mine is too. I have a bunch of them so opening one up a bit won't bother me too much if it doesn't work. But being a lefty I have to be careful not too much pressure, gas, or flame comes out of the flash hole directly at my right arm or face for that matter!
Old 11-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Here you go Dave. I have to play with the ignition a bit. There seems to be some ample delay from the pan to the main charge. The flash hole is at a good height and I have a new RMC liner in it. I'm thinking I should open the flash hole up a touch.
Wow that is a good looking rifle.

Did you try changing the area of the frizzen where you put the powder? Also did you try the fuzzy pipe clear in the touch hole trick? I have rifles that some like the pan powder right next to the touch hole while my Lyman's like it at the far edge of the pan for the best and fastest ignition.

I give all of them the fuzzy pipe cleaner when I load. Push that thing in the touch hole, then dump your powder and set your ball. Then, SLOWLY pull that pipe clean out of the touch hole. It will drag powder from the main charge right behind the touch hole, so any spark will set it off. And you know that the touch hole is wide open.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'll give that a try Dave. But I did some work on it last night too. I noticed the flash hole was not in line with the center of the pan. It was a little to the rear. So I removed the tang and plugged the screw holes then put the tang back in place with the barrel and moved the whole works forward about 1/8" until it was centered. Then I center punched the stock for the new tang screw locations. I mixed some epoxy and filled the gap behind the tang both in the barrel channel and on top of the stock.
This morning I had to remove a tiny bit of epoxy so the hook could engage in the tang. I'll let the epoxy cure a couple days before shooting it.