Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Arrrg! I am sick to my stomach - New gun? >

Arrrg! I am sick to my stomach - New gun?

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Arrrg! I am sick to my stomach - New gun?

Old 10-18-2016, 10:40 PM
Banned

Default Arrrg! I am sick to my stomach - New gun?

Well, I didn't think I'd ever do it but I sold my .58cal semi custom cva hawken i built 4 years ago. My stomach is just flat out sick. I love it to death, shoots amazing, great balance, etc. But something is calling me to do something else.

I already have a .50cal traditions mountain rifle... But thats just it... 50cal

I prefer round balls but shots out to 150 with round ball just isn't sitting well with me.

Sure, I can cast up some lead conicals but that kind of ruins the mood for me.

One thing I found is a traditions st.louis .54cal kit gun for a decent price. I like to personalize my own rifles and really bring out the wood grain, but.... I just don't know.

Another option is to get another traditions mountain rifle, but in kit form this time and work it to my liking.

I have at traditions kentucky and a traditions hawken woodsman, both flinters, so I am set in that department. Just trying to beat my head a little and figure out what to replace that 58 with oh!

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Holy Crap MD! Where was your head? Hope you got the price you wanted... that's gonna haunt ya for a while. The only guns I ever sell are those I bought with the intention of reselling for profit. I never sell any that I have a connection to.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 10-19-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

We all do something dumb now and then. Welcome to the club.

If you want to try something different that's fun, inexpensive to shoot and will reach out there to 150 yards, find a Green Mountain 1:30 twist LRH barrel and build a gun around that. Put a peep sight on it. Load it with Ed Mehlig's 465 grain conicals and be impressed.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Semisane
We all do something dumb now and then. Welcome to the club.

If you want to try something different that's fun, inexpensive to shoot and will reach out there to 150 yards, find a Green Mountain 1:30 twist LRH barrel and build a gun around that. Put a peep sight on it. Load it with Ed Mehlig's 465 grain conicals and be impressed.
Might as well use an inline. Anything but a PRB out of a sidelock is just wrong.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Might as well use an inline.
Makes no sense at all. You're confusing guns vs. projectiles.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not at all. One is traditional and the other modern.

It's just my opinion, but I feel a sidelock should use traditional ammo which is a PRB to me. I wouldn't use anything else. Actually, it's all i've ever used for muzzleloader hunting.

Inlines are modern and should use modern ammo. I made the mistake of using real BP in an inline and old style lead conicals. Along with open sights thinking I was at least keeping part of it traditional. That's dumb thinking and i'm fixing it now. I'll use a scope, modern bullets and BH 209 in the inline.

My opinion only, but it's a strong one.

Putting a fast twist barrel on a sidelock and shooting sabots is ridiculous.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:03 AM
Banned

I certainly will be using patched ball unless I go with a .50cal and hunt elk. Then I'll be forced to buy a mold and cast something of my own.

I really think I want a kit so I can personalize it myself. Just one of those darn moment where I know the factory guns look good, but I always can spice up the wood grain better.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not at all. One is traditional and the other modern.
If you think full bore lead conicals are a modern phenomenon you must consider the early 1800's as "modern".

And no one, except you, mentioned sabots.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

MD I feel for you. I'm at the point now where I am seriously thinking about starting to sell off some of my MLs. I have 7 or 8 sidelocks, all with either custom or GM barrels on them except the Pedersoli Frontier rifle. These GM barrels are both LRH and PRB versions from .45 to .58 caliber.
What I won't get rid of is my .58 caplock 1:66 GM on a Renegade stock, my .50 LRH flintlock on a Renegade stock, the above mentioned Pedersoli, the .54 custom flinter and my CVA Accura V2.
Everything is subject to the selling block. Most all are on T/C Hawken stocks.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Might as well use an inline. Anything but a PRB out of a sidelock is just wrong.
Paper patched bullets are straight out of the mid 1860's. Your head got stuck again try to pull it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.