Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

That "Oh Crap!" Moment

Old 10-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I'm thinking either a Sims Limbsaver "Grind to Fit" recoil pad or the "Slip-On" Limbsaver. The current length of pull is 14" which is just perfect for me. So I'd need to cut the stock for permanent installation of a grind to fit. On the other hand, the extra inch of the slip on may not be a problem on the bench, and I could remove it for hunting. No one feels recoil on a hunting shot.

Then there's the simple matter of just reducing the charge. That 110 grain load I shot probably had a velocity somewhere around 1475-1500 fps. Dropping the charge to 95 grains should produce something like 1400-1425 fps. The lower charge would have a greater drop at longer ranges, but would not lack anything in killing power.
Semi...

I'd go with a Pachmyer slip on pad if I were you. I put one on my TC Scout Carbine some years back because any charge over 80 gr. would beat the hell out of ya. Why would you wanna start out with 110 gr. anyway?

BPS
Old 10-16-2016, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why would you wanna start out with 110 gr. anyway?
Because I'm a ninny?
Old 10-20-2016, 05:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good eye Paul. And a good point.
You rascal - that's pretty much what I said a few posts earlier! Only I suggested a shim at the toe first to see if that would ease the felt recoil.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Maybe you can tinker with the trigger and get it down to a "bear-able" level for your next session.
Let the tinkering begin!

First step was to determine the current trigger pull weight. I used my redneck trigger pull gauge to do that. (SEE: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...out-gauge.html)

It turned out to be 8¼ lbs. A bit lighter than I expected, but still plenty heavy. It needs a trigger job.

Here's what I have, and my current thinking.

Last edited by Semisane; 10-23-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would first try partially filling the full cock notch leaving the hammer notch alone. Instead of J-B, why not play with it at home with small pieces of alum foil until you find what you like? What I find crazy with that design is the trigger guard serving dual purpose as the hammer spring!!
Old 10-23-2016, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I love the ingenious simplicity of this original American design. Three moving parts - trigger, trigger guard, hammer (four if you count the ball )

Thanks for the foil idea Bronko. Great idea.

Last edited by Semisane; 10-23-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:06 PM
Spike

i want one of them shotguns if you know of a good one for sale.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the ingenious simplicity of this original American design. Three moving parts - trigger, trigger guard, hammer...

I know what you mean Semi...

They're a classic! Those Hopkins and Allen rifles were made about two hours from where I live and when I was a kid in high school, they could be found in most of the area gun shops for reasonable $$. I still know some fellas who bought one back in the day and still have them. If I remember right, the .45 caliber rifles were quite common back then. H&A made a pistol version as well.

BPS
Old 10-28-2016, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The brutal summer is almost behind us. Is it shooting weather yet?

Today's forecast was for a high of 71°. And even with a predicted humidity of 91% I decided it was time to break my long no shooting dry spell and head to the hunting lease for a little work and a range session.
Totally understand how you feel. It is the end of October and we are still in the upper 90s here in Phoenix. Normally I do not bring the muzzleloaders to the range when the temps are above 90...it is just too hot. I will be free to go to the range next week. I don't care what the temps are, I have to burn some 3F.

Enjoy the tinkering!