Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Black Powder Reference Forum
Determining Trigger Pull Weight Without A Gauge >

Determining Trigger Pull Weight Without A Gauge

Community
Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

Determining Trigger Pull Weight Without A Gauge

Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Determining Trigger Pull Weight Without A Gauge

There's no need to drop $25 or $50 on a trigger pull gauge if you only need to check pull weight infrequently.

A plastic jug, some twine, and a kitchen scale are all you need. But a friend to help makes it easier.

Secure the jug as shown below. Slowly fill it with water until the trigger breaks (that's where the friend comes in), and weigh the jug on the scale.

Last edited by Semisane; 07-06-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now this is an awesome trick!! I've been wondering what the break is on my rifles but did not want to break out the $$ on a gauge. One of those "why didn't I think of that?" things.

Thanks!!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I have an electronic scale for weighing fish. I tied a string to it, reset to 0, then pulled until the trigger breaks. Gives me a real accurate reading of the trigger pull. Being digital, it will let me know such as 3.5 pounds or 4.1 pounds, what ever.

I have another scale/flashlight/turkey carrier/pen holder/tape measure gizmo, for weighing turkey. You hook it over their feet and lift them off the ground and an arrow moves on a weight scale telling you how much your bird weighs. I have used that for the same thing as the electronic fish scale.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

These are two excellent "why didn't I think of that" ideas. I already have the gadget sold for carrying/weighing a turkey, and obviously the jug on a string is truly a simple yet elegant idea.
Thanks.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Spike

I attach a hook to a sock, then fill it with casting ingots until the trigger breaks.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Spike

Default Archery Bow Hunting

I found some good tips on this blog site for Archery:[URL="https://www.empowernetwork.com/spyoung10/blog/archery-bow-hunting/"]