Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

OT: Ouch!

Old 09-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default OT: Ouch!

My grandson and I went into the woods yesterday morning to finish putting up my tree stand. I already had the strap on steps in place so it was just a matter of hanging the stand. I decided to walk to the stand site from a different direction so as I wouldn't be using the deer trail.
About 30 yards from the tree my grandson hollered that something bit him on the butt. Seconds later I saw what it was as another mud wasp got him on the cheek then on the ear. Pulling him out of the area as quickly as possible swatting the little devils with my hat and a few more stings later to both him and myself we were able to get enough distance from them and were safe. I pulled some moist moss off a tree trunk and put it on his cherry red ear and told him to hold it there. I hustled him back to the ATV and made a hurried trip back to the house were we each got doses of benedryl and Afterbite on our stings. I guess I won't be using that direction to get to the stand!
Old 09-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

that would have been a shocker!! I am not allergic like my friend (he a logger so he carried an EpiPen as bees in trees is common) but no one hates to get stung. Does that Afterbite help?

The bee story I have concerns my black labrador and I out in the yard years ago. He was curious about something over at the end of the garage, stuck his nose in a hole, yipped! and here he comes, running to me covered in bright little yellow jackets. I was shocked but then that dog runs straight between my legs and never stopped, knocking the bees off him with me of course. Needless to say, we both made a hasty retreat out of the area.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ouch indeed. Glad it wasn't any worse.

My worst experience happened when cutting palmetto fronds around a buddy's camp with a ditch bank blade. I was in shorts. There was a red hornet's nest on the underside of one of the fronds. When I made the cut it fell against my legs and the red devils were up my shorts in a flash. Three stings, but thankfully not in a place none of us would ever want to get stung.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh Yes Dave the Afterbite works great. It neutralizes the toxins in the bite. It smells like ammonia. I hear plain white toothpaste works good too.
When I was very young (maybe 8) I fell on a mud wasp nest and like Dave's dog, I was running to my grandparents house about 100 yards away. I was covered from head to toe with the buggers. Fortunately for me my uncle was there and he literally tore my clothes off and carried me in the house where my grandmother poured an entire bottle of vinegar on me and took me down to the doctor a block away where I got a shot I guess of benedryl or adreneline.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Ouch indeed. Glad it wasn't any worse.

My worst experience happened when cutting palmetto fronds around a buddy's camp with a ditch bank blade. I was in shorts. There was a red hornet's nest on the underside of one of the fronds. When I made the cut it fell against my legs and the red devils were up my shorts in a flash. Three stings, but thankfully not in a place none of us would ever want to get stung.
were you dancing around good when that happened?
Old 09-14-2016, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got nailed on the back of the hand yesterday when I accidentally disturbed a Hornets nest while puttering around the yard. It was the only sting I got thank God... it hurt like hell for about a half hour and fortunately, I'm not allergic. Waited until dark and exacted some revenge with a can of bee spray.

BPS
Old 09-14-2016, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

My worst story was I was once cutting some shooting lanes and hit a in ground yellow jacket nest with a machete, before I knew it I had a bunch go up both my pants legs, and they were pissed off and stinging me all over
as I was running away stripping off my pants LOL
PAY back I went back that night with some gasoline and I torched there home

But WOW< I got bite I think about 100 times before I got away
will never forget that
them little suckers can do damage
I now swell up like a blimp when I get bite
I tell folks, I think we all start off with some tolerance of sorts, the mroe you get bit the less tolerance you have

as a kid , never had any reaction to being bit, NOW< its a whole new world of swelling and pain!
Hate them sucker
Old 09-14-2016, 04:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by mrbb
My worst story was I was once cutting some shooting lanes and hit a in ground yellow jacket nest with a machete, before I knew it I had a bunch go up both my pants legs, and they were pissed off and stinging me all over
as I was running away stripping off my pants LOL
PAY back I went back that night with some gasoline and I torched there home
Those were probably mud wasps. They look exactly like yellow jackets but a bit smaller. Angry little buggers.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

My story:

Two years ago my dad and I were clearing some overgrown spots near one of our treestands. As he mowed with the tractor mounted bush hog, I suddenly saw an insect fly just in front of my face and felt two sharp pains on my ear and shoulder. After smacking away those hornets, I realized I was being swarmed by the little devils emerging from a previously concealed hole in the ground. That day, I found out I can run pretty darned fast when necessary.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wasps will put a hurt on a person. All our blinds have wasp or mud dauber nests. I keep a can of wasp and hornet spray in the truck. That stuff kills bees dead right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.