Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Need advice ASAP

Old 09-03-2016, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Need advice ASAP

Today if possible. I got a T/C Hawken and for some reason the barrel is rocking in the barrel channel/tang. I want to correct this because my cousin wants to buy it and I don't want to sell it to him like this.
I was thinking about getting Accuglass and bedding the tang, the barrel channel from the hook forward about 3" and just a little bit around the wedge pin area for some forward stability.
Does this sound like a good fix?
Old 09-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

PM either Semi or Sabotloader Bronko. MD would probably know as well. I may not like his choice of marketing for CVA but the kid knows his stuff when it comes to fitting up traditional style stocks.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

You jarred my memory SH. I checked my PMs and MD did answer a previous question about bedding. I got to looking at this rifle and there is about 1/16" of space between the tang/barrel and the stock. I think I'll be heading to Cabelas tomorrow and picking up some Accuglass and bed this rifle.

Last edited by bronko22000; 09-03-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Make sure the wood has not swollen any where mabe a few swipes with narrow wooden chisel would help be for beddindg
Old 09-03-2016, 01:25 PM
Banned

I'd even blacken the barrel on the bottom and sides with a few dozen matches and lay it down in the stock channel. Could be some high spots causing some issues there.

It sounds more to me like the inletting at the back of the barrel, towards the tang/lock may have been inletted a bit more and theres a small gap in that area. I for sure would bed the tang first and then carry on to the barrel channel.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's what I plan on doing MD. Then if need be I'll add a couple drops up near the end of the forearm (behind the brass) but not so much as to interfere with the wedge function.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK well a little wood was removed, release agent applied to all the metal, stock taped in case of overflow, modeling clay put in correct areas and bedding material applied and tang and barrel in place.
We'll see tomorrow how it looks.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Shoot it before you get rid of it. It would be a shame to hear it turned out to be a single hole shooter.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Shoot it before you get rid of it. It would be a shame to hear it turned out to be a single hole shooter.
I already have a good shooting .45 Hawken with a Green Mtn LRH barrel.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

OK I took the barrel out and cleaned it all up then put it back into the stock. But I still had a little wobble to the barrel so I ground a section of the channel between the wedge pin area and the fore end tip (about 1 1/2") and mixed another batch of epoxy. I put some tape over the top of the stock and molding clay in front and back of the bedding area. After waxing the barrel I applied the epoxy and reinstalled the barrel. This was quick set epoxy so after 2 hours I took the barrel out and cleaned it up as well as the barrel channel. Reinstalling the barrel and it fits perfectly. Not a smidgen of wobble at all.