Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Short starter down grade

Old 02-27-2016, 02:14 PM
Banned

Default Short starter down grade

Years ago I built a short starter made of a nice muley drop my dog found while we were hiking. I used a TC ramrod which was the "unbreakable" wood/resin design. Its super hard but it does break if you are not careful.

Recently I added a plastic ( Will be ordering brass) muzzle protector and today, I took another old broken ramrod and robbed the seating jar off it.

I may have to cut it down more, but I will not know until I go to cut my patches at the muzzle next time out.

Its the little brass attachment at the end of the deer antler. When I am ready to push the ball further, I simply pull it out and put my other longer extension back on.

Antler also serves as my ramrod handle for heavy seating.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jon - Looking at that I have a suggestion. Why not put the short starter on the thinner end of the antler and round the edges off of the thicker end so you can rap the ball to get it started. Then, once you find the correct length you need for the longer rod/muzzle protector you can permanently install it in the existing hole.
That way you're not futsing around changing out parts and still have the 'handle' for heavy seating.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:33 PM
Banned

I'll certainly take a look into that. The ends are cut sideways so I was worried about not being able to hit it square.