Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Hawken is hog ready

Old 02-24-2016, 11:51 AM
Banned

Default Hawken is hog ready

Beautiful day. Low 40s, no wind, bright warm sun, beautiful layer of snow on the ground. My shooting area turned to slop but other than that, it was a great day.

Final 4 shots were excellent but off to the left a bit.

CVA Hawken .58cal
.570 round balls
.020 patches lubed with my anti rust lube
100gr Goex 2fg

Now before you say its shooting to the left... Its actually me. I was picking up heat waves which was distorting my rear sight and making it me aim to the left. Once I let the barrel cool down and then used a couple layers of masking tape to block the sun glare, she was 1" to the right. And there's no adjusting that with drift sights lol. Also had to use my 150 yard ramp setting. Not filing this front sight down just yet.

This was with a new target set up to try out. I left some gap between the front sight and target because the orange was so bright. I lined up the right side of my sight on the edge and squeezed the trigger. Right where that sight was setting. Just had some glare issues with heat waves and sun on the rear sight. I am a happy camper!

I'm going to swab the bore CLEAN and then take one more shot later this evening when the sun goes down to verify 100%.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 01:01 PM.