Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

.54 PRB twist rate

Old 02-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Yes my PA Hunter is a 1-66. And its a heck of a shooter.
Dave,

Correct me if I'm wrong... but didn't you mention back when you bought it that it's a percussion rifle?

BPS
Old 02-19-2016, 05:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes it is a percussion rifle.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Yes it is a percussion rifle.
I thought so. It seems unusual that a rifle which was built to market in a state who's only ML season was flintlock only would be percussion. I don't believe I've ever seen a percussion model of that rifle.

BPS
Old 02-20-2016, 04:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree BPS but they did make them. Maybe because of the twist rate. Check this out
https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...a&type=default
Old 02-20-2016, 06:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I purchased it used from a person in Pennsylvania. When I bought it, I was hoping for a flintlock, but I knew when I purchased it, it was percussion. Always figured I would find a flintlock for my set. When I did find a flintlock, I was almost positive it was 1-48 and that is why I did not purchase it.

Its a nice gun to shoot. My notes say, mild recoil? Shoots a little to the right. But a tight 6 o'clock hold. Funny how I write about my rifles. But it makes it easier to remember next time I hit the range.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with keeping records Dave, especially for guys like us who have so many muzzys. I keep all my load data on file and record any changes after any shooting session for each gun. That way, anytime I get one out to shoot I can take a quick look and see where I left off with it. If my session gets cut short for some reason and I'm not happy where I left off, I add the note "Needs further development".

BPS