Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Brass or Iron?

Old 01-20-2016, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Brass or Iron?

Hello all. I am interested in picking-up a semi-custom Pennsylvania rifle. This would be a real "meat-and-potatoes" type of rifle so no fancy embellishments, carvings, etc. To that end I am wondering is there a benefit of brass vs iron hardware? I am leaning toward iron but not completely against brass.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I thought I already posted on this but must have had a glitch. I like both but in a hunting rifle I prefer the iron. And I think iron looks good with a dark colored stock like Lyman puts on their muzzies.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I believe brass is generally accepted as the more common or "correct" furniture on most of the Pennsylvania style rifles. However, iron is not unknown and given the choice I prefer iron.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

I prefer iron.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like both so it's kind of a personal preference thing really. Iron is generally associated with the Southern Mt. or "Poor boy" style rifles. Brass is more maintenance free... no need to oil it, but for hunting the iron won't stand out as brass does. If you choose brass, don't polish it if it's gonna be your hunting rifle, just let it develop a natural dull patina.

BPS
Old 01-20-2016, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

...if it's gonna be your hunting rifle
It may end up as a hunting rifle which is why I am inclined toward iron.

I have always been amazed at the accuracy of the riflemen during the War for Independence IE: "Morgan's Rifles." What I would like to do is work-up my accuracy to match (come close to!) what these riflemen did, hitting a man sized target at 200 yards. For starters I will need an appropriate firearm. I figure the colonist/riflemen probably carried a plain rifle, so that is what I am considering.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hitting a 'man sized' target at 200 yards shouldn't be that difficult. Especially out of a custom rifle. Just be sure to get the proper twist rate for the bullet you plan on using.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Many of the "common longrifles" used iron ornate because of functionality, and cost. So both the iron and brass were common. For a meat and potatoes rifle I would go with iron. Its easier to take care of. Clean it, oil it and its good to go. The brass I seem to always be using Brasso to get that special shine on it.

On my custom I went with German Silver. I was told this was a "Gentleman's Rifle" but I just wanted one fancy. Something you might consider in a custom is a swamped barrel. I had mine made by TVM Tennessee Valley Muzzle Loading. Matt did a great job on my Early Lancaster.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

It depends on the condition of the brass. New shiny brass looks cheap to me. If it's left alone to develop a nice patina it looks pretty good.

Between shiny brass and iron? Iron wins easily.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

On my custom I went with German Silver. I was told this was a "Gentleman's Rifle" but I just wanted one fancy.
That custom rifle of yours is gorgeous.

But you know that already.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.