Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Cotton Drill fabric for patch material >

Cotton Drill fabric for patch material

Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Cotton Drill fabric for patch material

Old 01-14-2016, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cotton Drill fabric for patch material

Hey all...

I recently purchased a yard of "cotton drill" fabric to use as patch material. Was out and about with the Mrs. recently and decided to visit the local Jo-Ann fabric shop in search of pillow ticking. I wasn't that impressed with the pillow ticking material I looked at, it didn't seem to be as tight a weave as I wanted so I snooped around. I found the cotton drill stuff and it looked to be a lot tighter weave than the other so I bought a yard @ around $6.00.

I'm gonna wash it a couple times to get the starch out and make it more supple. Had my 1" mics on me to check materials with and the thickness of the cotton drill was a consistent at around .017-.018. Anyone out there ever used this material for patching VS pillow ticking? It's unprinted, kinda looks like Muslin but thicker.

BPS
Old 01-16-2016, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

never used the stuff BPS. I've had good luck with the ticking at Walmart.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

No place to buy ticking near me, so I buy this.

http://www.octobercountry.com/oc-dry...ticking-strip/
Old 01-16-2016, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Holy crap Muley. Do you want me to pick you up a yard of ticking at Walmart and send it to you? I'll see if they have it at this store in FL near me. PM me your address if you want it. I know they have it up in PA. Then you can cut your own strips or patches. I like the strips for the range and just cut as I go with my patch knife. For hunting though I use about 1" square patches.(3 lines on the ticking)
Old 01-16-2016, 10:55 AM
Banned

I buy from the possibles shop. 500 pre cut patches for something like $12 or 13!
Old 01-16-2016, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000 View Post
Holy crap Muley. Do you want me to pick you up a yard of ticking at Walmart and send it to you? I'll see if they have it at this store in FL near me. PM me your address if you want it. I know they have it up in PA. Then you can cut your own strips or patches. I like the strips for the range and just cut as I go with my patch knife. For hunting though I use about 1" square patches.(3 lines on the ticking)
Thanks, but I have a good supply.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000 View Post
never used the stuff BPS. I've had good luck with the ticking at Walmart.
I still have some ticking left from a few yards I bought a long time ago. I looked at ticking at both Wow-Mart and Jo-Ann fabric and it averaged around .020 at both places. I thought this cotton drill had a nice tight weave and was more the thickness I wanted plus it was a bit cheaper.

BPS
Old 01-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's why I buy the ticking in my link. It's consistent in size, and it's already washed.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea, I'm definitely gonna wash this Cotton Drill material, it's pretty darn starchy/stiff.

BPS
Old 01-17-2016, 04:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

BPS...Lots of fellows use that, it's suppose to be what pockets in good jeans are made of..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.