Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 It must be sunday, I have another ? >

It must be sunday, I have another ?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

It must be sunday, I have another ?

Old 04-24-2005, 02:02 PM

Default It must be sunday, I have another ?

Well it is sunday, so I am at work staring at this comp bord out of my mind. I just read an article on arrow spine by Doug Besherse He had lots of good info. He said if you shoot fast flight then you should go up by two shaft sizes from the sizes he gave on the chart. I have no idea what number on the arrow represents the shaft size. What would be two shaft sizes up from a 2117. I am guessing that the first # represnts the shaft and I have no idea what the second # is. Also he said somthing to the extent that if you pause befor you release it will hurt the performance of your bow, that would be bad for me because I draw vary slow and release vary slow, and some times I hold a little while to give the chipmunk time to clear the bird feeder, just kidding I never shot anything I am not going to eat and I dont want to eat a Chipmunk. I herd they tast alot like bald eagle. (my girl would make me cook it and she would watch me eat the hole thing)
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: It must be sunday, I have another ?

The numbers on the shaft don't tell you anything about spine, at least not directly. All they do is tell you the shaft diameter in 64ths of an inch and tube wall thickness in thousandths of an inch. So, a 2117 is 21/64" in diameter and it's wall thickness is .017".

A larger diameter shaft is generally stiffer than a smaller diameter one. The greater the wall thickness, the heavier the shaft. It gives you an idea of how two different size arrows would compare, but that's all you can tell about spine and weight just going by the size numbers. Still gotta go by the chart to get a good starting point.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: It must be sunday, I have another ?

I can't see how pausing is going to hinder bow performance unless you made a self bow that really takes a set in a hurry or else you let your hand creep forward before you release. Stored energy is stored energy, it's not like it will leak out if you hold it for a second.

RC