Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 What are some thoughts on wolves? >

What are some thoughts on wolves?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

What are some thoughts on wolves?

Old 04-17-2005, 06:36 PM

Default What are some thoughts on wolves?

I live in the UP of MI and the wolf pop. has been increasing over the last few years. Many people hate them and for good reason, they eat peoples pets and have put a hurt on the deer pop. in my area(I think this because of the bad winters we have plus the cutting down of all the cedar swamps). I on the other hand have the utmost respect for them. I saw my first one last deer season but have been hearing them for years now, there is nothing like knowing they are there hunting with you. Yah they are competition but competition is good. I respect there hunting ability and group life style. To me they are the symbol of wild and the untamed woods. If I could hunt them I would, but not if it would endanger them as a hole. They were here long befor my ansestors ever arrived here and they belong here. Just so ya know I am not a farmer and I know they are a problem in some areas, and I know if ya mess with a mans lively hood he is going to hate ya. I just think the big timber wouldnt be the same without them.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:29 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What are some thoughts on wolves?

I've never had to deal with them, so I really don't know how I would feel if I did. As it stands, I don't have a problem with hunting them.

Chad
Old 04-17-2005, 11:28 PM
Fork Horn

I'm fairly ambivalent when it comes to wolves, or large predators in general. I've always hunted country that holds wolves, cougars or grizzly bears and they all have a place. I just can't get a serious hate on for any of 'em. (except wolverines, still hold a grudge against the species )

Would I take one if the opportunity presented itself? (wolves are fair game here) Absolutely! But I can't get on the band wagon of the "eradicate them all" crowd.

JMHO

RC
Old 04-18-2005, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

realize you can shoot 60% of a pack year in and year out for some time and still not put a dent in the population. Wolves breed to capacity as much or more so then most animals.

I remembered growing up going out looking for them in northern Mn while in a camp for a few weeks one summer. After moving to Alaska I wasnt here 6 days when we found a small pack of 6 animals coming home from a fly fishing excursion. Neat for sure. I've since heard them howl while on hunts (one about freaked me out he was so close), have seen them and have seen what happens when you have them.

I dont think people understand the consequences of having them around (specifically out west), however they are learning real quick.

I definatly do not want to see them exterminated, however there needs to be predator control. You cannot maintain any sort of balance when you only control (or atleast attempt to control), one portion of the population. Lets put things into perspective, A wolve needs to kill a deer sized animal DAILY per animal, take into account how many animals you have and it can be a pretty astounding number. Thats great for states with issues with deer populations but really hurts a state with a HIGH moose population of 2 animals per square mile with the norm being 1 to 1 1/2 per square mile or less. We are feeling the impacts of little to no pressure up until recently of predator control (along with mis management, over hunting, to many DIY hunters and guides, along with high bear populations). Alaska is finally coming around a little, only time will tell where it ends up. Mark my words, without proper management it will happen exactly the same or worse out west!
Old 04-18-2005, 01:07 PM

Did I read your post right, a wolf has to kill a deer (deer sized animal) each day. That seems like alot of food for a 100lb dog, one of my dogs is 70lbs and he only eats about 4 cups of food a day, and that is during the season when he is out hunting 3 or 4 times a week. I think over human population is just as big of a problem as over preditor population. I am all for managment it needs to be done these days. How is the weather in AK, the fishing should start geting going up there, wish I was up there, what a place.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:32 PM

There was a very lengthy discussion on the wolf in the Big Game section. It has become very controverial and emotional here in Wy. Between the drought, over hunting, and preditors,(wolves and grizzlys) the elk are taking a pretty big hit. And no thanks to the lying USF&W service we as hunters don't stand a chance.

Did I read your post right, a wolf has to kill a deer (deer sized animal) each day. That seems like alot of food for a 100lb dog, one of my dogs is 70lbs and he only eats about 4 cups of food a day, and that is during the season when he is out hunting 3 or 4 times a week

Documented cases here that they don't always eat everything they kill. So a deer a day wouldn't be out of line, killing one and not eating all of it that is,
Old 04-22-2005, 07:41 AM

We need more Wolves, then maybe these Anti's will let us hunt the games we like to hunt.