Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Crossbows In Kentucky

Old 03-12-2005, 12:22 PM

Default RE: Crossbows In Kentucky

It amazes me how pro-crossbow ppl appear out of thin air anytime the subject comes up. I also can't believe how any other bowhunter wouldn't have a problem w/sharing our season with the arrow gunners.
not everybody is as narrow minded and ego stricken as others !

And your right i don't usually come on this forum ...............i have my reasons![:@]
Old 03-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

Try comparing a crossbow to archery tackle & make a list of the exact similarities.

Now make a list comparing a crossbow to a muzzel-loading rifle.

Any honest person will have a much larger list when comparing it to the mzzldr & any weapon that is more comparable to a gun than a bow doesn't belong in any archery-only hunting seasons. Ego has nothing to do with this issue.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: arrowsmit

Try comparing a crossbow to archery tackle & make a list of the exact similarities.

Now make a list comparing a crossbow to a muzzel-loading rifle.

Any honest person will have a much larger list when comparing it to the mzzldr & any weapon that is more comparable to a gun than a bow doesn't belong in any archery-only hunting seasons. Ego has nothing to do with this issue.
Ok bows and crossbows both have limbs,cams,string is used to launch the projectile,they both can use pins for sights ,they both have to be drawn to use,they both use a shaft (bolt and arrow) as a projectile, both use broadheads and fieldpoints.

muzzleloaders and crossbows both have stocks and triggers!

Oh and i guess if you look at releases for bows then bows ,crossbows and muzzleloaders share .

And one can put a scope on a crossbow as a muzzleloader but i do believe i have seen them for bows also.

Let's hear your list. and please don't try and compare crossbows and muzzleloader as having like ranges!
Old 03-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

You're sitting there in the stand, weapon locked and loaded. You see that animal coming into range. Raise weapon to your shoulder, cheek down on the stock, find your aim point in the scope, flip off the safety, aim, pull the trigger. Doesn't matter to me whether it goes bang or clank, whether the power source is chemical or spring action, or the effective range. That is NOT a bow.

To be fair, I also question whether using a mechanical release on a ultra high letoff compound that lets one draw and hold for several minutes at a time should be classified as a bow. Compound technology has long passed the limits of the season's intent, IMO.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

You're sitting there in the stand, weapon locked and loaded. You see that animal coming into range. Raise weapon to your shoulder, cheek down on the stock, find your aim point in the scope, flip off the safety, aim, pull the trigger. Doesn't matter to me whether it goes bang or clank, whether the power source is chemical or spring action, or the effective range. That is NOT a bow.

To be fair, I also question whether using a mechanical release on a ultra high letoff compound that lets one draw and hold for several minutes at a time should be classified as a bow. Compound technology has long passed the limits of the season's intent, IMO.
And it is NOT a gun!!!!!

And i will agree with your last statement but things change whether we like them or not.

Like i have said just classify them differently and run the seasons the same !
Old 03-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Things change, certainly, but there are many changes that are not for the better. I've been thinking for at least 10 years now that archery tackle advances have been heading down the wrong road. All your arguments for the crossbow simply enforce my belief.

I'd like to see regulations inacted nationwide that limit mechanical releases only to use by the disabled, minimum arrow weights of no less than 400 grains, mechanical broadheads banned completely, no electronic devices allowed on the bow, no scope sights allowed, letoff limited to a maximum of 65%, a total ban on the drawlock device... I've gotten so disinchanted with modern compound tackle that I'm sorry I ever soiled my hands with a compound.[:'(]
Old 03-12-2005, 06:42 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

LBR come on and the "other archery" folks aren't out for the money. a friend of mine is a bowtech dealer and honestly they are very nice bows but when i found out how much they were i about fell out! and look at all the accessorys! i still hunt with my old jennings carbon extreme even though some say man thats old !
It's all about money no matter what the weapon or even land issues.
The question was "and just who's getting the money?" I answered. For the most part it is all about the money, for most manufacturers. Money makes the decisions, not conservation or the will of the people. That's just wrong.

Actually it's not as easy as some make out. this year my son wanted to take my horton hunter supreme and in the end he didnt because i had a accuracy problem. it's solved but you still must be aware of distance. yeah in time i will get him a bow but not until he slows down on his growing.
You have to be aware of yardage beyond a certain point. Practically anyone with the strength to hold a crossbow and pull the trigger can be hitting a 6" spot at 15 yds in less than an hour. A minimum of intelligence is required to adjust the sights. If it's not easier, why have these weapons generally been reserved for the disabled, elderly, and handicapped?

Now brother this statement really can get my blood going. now i hunt with a variety of weapons including a crossbow and yep a bow. i prefer gun but it doesnt matter.
but this thought that a bowhunter is a better hunter or spends more time in the woods is pure dog feces!I would bet i spend more time than 98% of the folks on here in the woods . i hate putting folks into catagorys based on what they hunt with or assuming because someone hunts with something automatically makes them something they are not!
I know some that hunt with bows that i would not even think about on my club. why?
i have found their animals they wounded and didnt recover in the past. i got mad and gave them the boot!
Now do i condemn people that hunt with bows ? no i would be slapping myself.
That is not what I said or even implied. A crossbow is not a bow, period, and should not get an open pass into a season that was fought for by bowhunters. If someone wants to use one during primitive weapons or gun season, I have no problems at all with that.

But as to the hunting with a crossbow during "archery season" i agree!
It does take skill and is not as easy as people think.
My solution to this is just to say there are two seasons bow and crossbow that run the same amount of time and dates!
Again, why were these weapons reserved for those with disabilities in the past? I don't have a problem with a crossbow season either, but it should run concurrent with primitive weapons/muzzleloader/gun season.

Really i have 2100 acres that is all private now if i am hunting during a "archery " season with a crossbow who does it hurt?
Nobody on here cause nobody on here can be on my preserve!
Great--I'm jealous. So, since you have your own private preserve to hunt on, everyone else (most much less fortunate as far as hunting spots go) should have to go along with you because it's not having any effect on you? Just tough luck for the rest of us that will be impacted by it?

I just think some folks are so ate up with themselves prefering a traditional bow that they are blind to others!

That's probably true in some cases, but not with me, and I am sure it's not with Arthur or Arrowsmit either. I don't judge a person by what weapon they hunt with--every other hunter I know, even those that shoot traditional bows, also hunt with guns and/or muzzleloaders--they just don't use them during bow season.

I think there are MUCH bigger issues threatening hunting than the use of crossbows.
Hey think IF it does get more people into the woods then the hunting community as a whole is MUCH stronger! it is hard to fight a army of hunters no matter what they carry!
I am sure there are other problems, but that doesn't make this one any less of a problem. My opinion is, for the most part, that many of those who have never bothered to try bowhunting but will run to the store and get a crossbow if it's allowed during bowseason are not the ones that are going to bother spending any of their precious time fighting for our rights. It takes a certain type of person to dedicate themselves and spend the time it takes to become proficeient with a bow. Those tend to be the movers and shakers, not the ones that will take the easiest route possible.

But hey we can fight about this stupid issue and someday find ourselves discussing what happened ? how did they get the ban on hunting?
Yep, or we may be discussing how we used to have such nice, long archery seasons, and how tough it is to do any good with a bow when the season only runs for a week or two.

A few similarities between crossbows and muzzleloaders, and even single-shot rifles.

They can be used with an open sight or a scope.

They are loaded and ready to shoot as soon as you get to your spot.

They are fired, not released, using a trigger.

They can be propped up/rested.

They require very little physical strength to operate.

You're sitting there in the stand, weapon locked and loaded. You see that animal coming into range. Raise weapon to your shoulder, cheek down on the stock, find your aim point in the scope, flip off the safety, aim, pull the trigger.
This statement could be applied to a rifle, muzzleloader, or crossbow equally. You could add "prop it up on the gun rest" to Art's statement also.

They require little knowledge to operate accurately.

None of them are a bow. As I said before, you can get a conversion kit for a Ruger 10/.22 so it will fire bolts. Does that make it a bow too?

I agree with Arthur--the weapons have basically negated the original spirit of the archery season--money being the primary drive behind this, and folks wanting it as easy as possible--they are the ones that provide the money. Archery season isn't (or at least wasn't) about how many animals you could kill, or how easy you could make it--it was for the challenge, and for those that love the sport. I can't help but wonder if Fred Bear and other pioneers of the compound bow would have done anything differently if they had known where it was going to lead.

Chad
Old 03-12-2005, 06:52 PM

Archrey is supposedly a"PRIMITIVE WEAPON"!!!! Can you call a modern compound a primitive weapon??? I don't think a crossbow has any farther effective range than a compound . Are you mad because you think there will be a flood of xbow hunters crowding the woods or what. I don't under stand all the cmplaining about the subject.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:27 PM

For all the pro X bow people, How will you help bowhunting ? Will you bring in new people who will help fight the anti hunters or will you bring in people who rightly or wrongly see the crossbow as a way to get into bowhunting without having to put in the effort ? Will you add to the idea that archery as it has become (compound) is no longer a primitive sport due to the sights, letoff, releases, etc. Who will benifit, the people who make the X bows will. The industry as a whole has shown over and over that if they make it some idiot will buy it because it makes it easier to hunt with. They sure have done a great job of saying , hey this technology is as far as we had better go havent they. You seem to feel that anyone who opposes you does so on an emotional level, yet the statements such as , get a life, grow up, and well they are coming if you like it or not. are emotion based to get a reaction. Well I will not disapoint you. Xbows can hunt in gun season so nobody is xxxxx in your cornflakes. I am an elitest, I worked hard at the sport many years, yes I reject the crossbow and the compound as well so I am an elitest not just a traditional bowhunter. See the difference ? I am still a BOW hunter, I believe it should be difficult, I dont care that you choose a Xbow just dont try to force it into MY time as a bowhunter. Oh yes, I am by law a disabled bowhunter who hunts with a longbow when I could legaly use the Xbow, the day I can not hunt with it is probably the day I should not be in the woods by myself anyway and yes I would stop hunting because if I hunt it will be as a bowhunter and not a opportunist to make things easier.
Slobs come in all forms not related to the type of bow you shoot but I fear the X bow will bring in many more of them, just what we need. Yes you are really helping the sport with your greed to do things your way, thanks.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:36 PM

While I am on a rant , as to the X bow being legalized because so many people want it I sure dont understand why every archery site you are on, traditional or compound it seems the vast majority are against it. Gee guess the compounders we argued against so many years ago might just see our point now. Just say no to the X bow.

Quick Reply: Crossbows In Kentucky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.