Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Target ?

Old 02-08-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Target ?

It seems like I shoot trew a target after just a few weeks (I just started shooting a recurve but i have always shoot a compound). Lets just say it gets expensive , This is my ? dose anyone shoot hay bails I remember shooting them when I was about 6, but I am wondering if a bigger bow will shoot threw them.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:54 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Target ?

Hay bales don't usually last very long, and get messy when the strings break. A good target costs more, but will last--cheaper in the long run.

Chad
Old 02-08-2005, 07:08 PM

I get a bag, like the ones corn come in, stuff them with old clothes and shoot away. Normally they are easy to remove because they don't go through the layers. They are cheap and when they get shot up just throw them into a new bag.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:45 PM

I've used several types of store bought targets and have worn quite a few. Still use them when i'm not shooting in my backyard. By far the best practice target i have shot so far is one I've made myself (4 for my club and one for myself). its basically a framed box with plywood sides and an open front and back, the top needs to be removable. streched across the front and back and stapled in place is chicken wire. Removing the top stuff wth scrap pieces of clothing. I used scrap pieces of synthetic clothing (from old army jacket linings), only because there is an old factory around here with a warehouse full of scraps. Any cloth will do the trick, but synthetic doesn't rot as easily. Once stuffed with the cloth replace the top and hang a target. I use a burlap target. NO shooting into the chicken wire does not hurt the arrows, not wood, not aluminum, not carbon or even expensive ACC's. I have mine elevated to keep the box off the ground with a cover that flips back to keep rain and snow out. They last a long time, years, even shooting thousands and thousands of arrows. With lots of use you will occasionally have to restuff them as the material will settle. The best part is that the arrows can be removed literally with two fingers. I'd like to claim the idea as my own however I had seen them used at several different clubs before deciding to build my own.

Good luck

Jim
Old 02-09-2005, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I second Ewolf's nomination for a bag of rags. I've been shooting at the same target for over 12 yr.'s. When the bag gets shot, I slip another one over the top. I prop it up on a couple of stakes and put a cardboard deer silhouette in front of it. The more you shoot at it the better it works.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:59 AM

Thanks, I have a lot of corn bags around so I will try that. Great idea gap shoot I will have to get to making one like yours.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:35 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

If you like it portable and/or want to keep it outside, you might rather stuff it with plastic--shopping bags, shrink wrap, plastic drop cloths, etc. The plastic won't hold water, won't mold, and is a lot lighter. When you think you have the bag full, put your foot in it and you will see you still have a way to go. Hang it and it will stop arrows better, and turn it around now and then. I have one that's been hanging out in the weather for at least 2 or 3 years and it still stops my arrows--and mine hit harder than average (600+ grain arrows from a [email protected] longbow going at around 190 fps). I do need to take it down and stuff it again--it's settled some. You can buy the larger bags with targets painted on them pretty cheap, and stuff them yourself.

Chad
Old 02-09-2005, 01:09 PM

Our club uses targets made using cardboard. It is sandwiched between 2x4's held together by threaded "ready rod". By shooting into the layers of cardboard instead of against it, it does a good job of stopping arrows. We get our cardboard from grocery stores. Here's a sketch.

Old 02-10-2005, 05:29 AM
Dominant Buck

You must shoot a lot more than me ! []
I have a 3-D deer target out back that gets a new core annually .
Old 02-10-2005, 09:58 AM

I've shot a store bought bag going on 4yrs, it stops all arrows. The arrows come out easly. It is filled with what appears to peices of nylon screen like whats on your windows. The only down fall is you can't shoot broadheads and is about 2x3 square. On the other hand it's very light and portable to take anywhere. I think I paid about 40.00 for it.