HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Target ?
Thread: Target ?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 08:45 PM
gapshot

Default RE: Target ?

I've used several types of store bought targets and have worn quite a few. Still use them when i'm not shooting in my backyard. By far the best practice target i have shot so far is one I've made myself (4 for my club and one for myself). its basically a framed box with plywood sides and an open front and back, the top needs to be removable. streched across the front and back and stapled in place is chicken wire. Removing the top stuff wth scrap pieces of clothing. I used scrap pieces of synthetic clothing (from old army jacket linings), only because there is an old factory around here with a warehouse full of scraps. Any cloth will do the trick, but synthetic doesn't rot as easily. Once stuffed with the cloth replace the top and hang a target. I use a burlap target. NO shooting into the chicken wire does not hurt the arrows, not wood, not aluminum, not carbon or even expensive ACC's. I have mine elevated to keep the box off the ground with a cover that flips back to keep rain and snow out. They last a long time, years, even shooting thousands and thousands of arrows. With lots of use you will occasionally have to restuff them as the material will settle. The best part is that the arrows can be removed literally with two fingers. I'd like to claim the idea as my own however I had seen them used at several different clubs before deciding to build my own.

Good luck

Jim